“Nothing to write home about”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I had hoped for a great first time experience in Gatlinburg but had a list of problems I wish didn't happen that spoiled my family's vacation. The place looks nice on the outside but first off, we were placed in an extremely noisy part of the property, right next to the pumping station of their indoor pool! We didn't even bother using the balcony since it was WAY to NOISY! They have a jacuzzi in the master bath but the water heater has no capacity for it so it's a CHILLY jacuzzi plus forget about taking a shower thereafter cause the water heater will take forever to make hot water - all this in the middle of winter! Brrrr.... Our drying died, had to call the repair man to come in. Most of the staff are helpful but had encounters with some who could use courtesy lessons. The guy in the grocery section acts like he doesn't want to be bothered. Not sure if I'd go back. The part we stayed in had zero view of the mountains, just an awful noisy pumping station. Did I mention that the bed where my kids slept had partially used sheets with someone's pubic hair??? disgusting. We had to ask to have this changed. I thought when you say a room's ready, it is. Not this one.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nelson C
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay with us. My apologies for the problems you encountered with the noisy room, a dyer that did not work, the sheets for your sleeper sofa, and an employee that did not display the courtesies that we take great pride in providing to all of our owners and guests. I do wish that these situations would have come to my attention while you were still on property so that I could have intervened so see what could have done to make things right for you and your family. We do appreciate your business and hope that you will give us another chance to prove that we could fulfill your expectations.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked the place 3 weeks ahead and reserved a delux one bedroom for 3 nights with a great price. It was a couple of miles from downtown Gatlinburg. It was convenient to town wile is was quite at night. Room is nice and clean. If you like BBQ, the inhouse Smokefire Grill was good (but if you like steak or anything else, I would drive to town.)

The indoor waterpark was great for kids. It was suprisingly clean. The booking/checkin agents should have always advised customers to purchase the tickets ahead (I did), but my friend did not and had to wait in line for 40 min. With young kids, that is just not acceptable... Management should had arranged another ticket agent during busy weekend/rainy day. The food place in the park is super slow as well....

Overall, it was great for the price.

Room Tip: We are a family with 2 young children. If budget is allowed, one bedroom delux is definitely worth...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your room was nice and clean and that you had a nice weekend with your family. After all, quality time with your family is what it’s all about! It was also very nice to hear that you thought the Water Park was great for kids. Our Water Park is indeed the most popular amenity at our property. My apologies for the lengthy period of time it took for you to enter the Water Park and to get lunch at our Snack Bar. I will get with these Managers and see what we can do to speed up the process. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you the next time you are staying in the area.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Coming into Gatlinburg on a busy weekend with no reservations is not advisable. After numerous phone calls and website visits, it was narrowed down to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort and one other. We picked Westgate and were glad we did.

First and foremost, the resort staff were very friendly and seemed realistically happy that we were there. The check-in process was simple and quick. Then they called a bellman over whom led us to our room via golf cart. The bellman walked you through many features of the unit including who to call if you have issues, get hungry, etc. We stayed in the 3000 building which is perched high above the resort base. The only way to explain the view is 'Amazing'. I will request to stay in the 3000 building again next time I return. I have stayed in Gatlinburg numerous times and this was by-far my best view yet.

For those of you with children, this resort offers an outdoor heated pool (free) as well as an indoor waterpark (for a fee). We did not do either as we were there only for R&R, but did see lots of people using both of the facilities. There is also an on-site gift shop and restaurant from which you can order room service.

Other benefits include location, as the resort is perfectly situated between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. From my room, I could see the main road leading into Gatlinburg and could tell when there was traffic or not. This made it nice to know exactly when we could quickly get into Gatlinburg for a quick bite and a stroll down main street. I definately recommend this resort to everyone! On my list as a favorite.

Room Tip: The 3000 and 4000 buildings seem to have the best mountain views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelerman48

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a very positive and enthusiastic recommendation to all those travelers who has never stayed with us. I was very happy to hear that you felt our staff was very friendly and that you really liked the location of our property. I’m also very glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your family on a very busy weekend without a reservation. We do take “ walk-in “ reservations, however, since our property has a very high demand, it is recommended to make a reservation ahead of time just to insure that you would able to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again, especially since we are now on your “ favorite “ list. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

THis place was really amazing. Not only were the facilities incredible (rustic, massive grounds & an indoor water park), but they were all extremely clean and well-maintained as well! :) I spent two days in one of the large, multi-room group "cabins" on the very top of the mountain and was ceaselessly impressed with how well everything was kept. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackson R
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Thank you also for letting us know that you thought the property was amazing, extremely clean, and well maintained. We appreciate the positive recommendation. We thank you for your business and hope that you stay with again the next time you come to the area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Everyone at the resort was very friendly. Accomodations were better than expected.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David B
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us that you and your wife had a great stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you stay with us the next time you are visiting the area.

Best Regards,
Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatlinburg
2.8 km away
9.8 km away
Clarion Inn Dollywood Area
Clarion Inn Dollywood Area
#5 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!