“Best Westgate Tip for a Better Room” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Lanesville, Indiana
“Best Westgate Tip for a Better Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I unfortunately had to use this trick to prove a Westgate employee was lying to me. When someone at the front desk tells you that your room size in unavailable or that they're "too full" to upgrade you, try this little trick. If you own an iPad, iPod touch, laptop, etc... go on-line and set up a reservation through Westgate's web page. Go step by step through the reservation process until you come to the payment page. DO NOT PAY. Once you have confirmed that you can, indeed, book a room in the size you want, show the Westgate employee this and call their bluff. It's a shame anyone would ever have to resort to this but sometimes rude employees need to be reminded that the ONLY reason they are standing behind that desk is to make your life better.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
2 Thank FlanneryWayne
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Thank you for giving us a five star rating. I can only assume that once you got into your room, you had a great stay. Unfortunately, without additional information, I can’t accurately respond to your comments, however, I can tell you that we will upgrade someone if possible, depending on the occupancy. We do have restrictions that apply….and I won’t bore you with a discussion of typical hotel business practices, however, we have certain room types associated with certain room rates and those fluctuate based on occupancy, as does our ability to upgrade. I suspect your situation was such that you made a reservation for a certain room type at a certain rate and was hoping that you could get a larger room at the same rate. Sometimes we can accommodate your request and sometimes we cannot regardless of whether or not we have the room type you are requesting to upgrade into. Regardless, I thank you for your business and I hope to see you again.

Best Regards
Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Arabic first
New Hartford, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We are currently staying at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. We have a three bedroom unit at Westgate Lakes Resort in Orlando. We are using the one bedroom here(which they told me at the office is really a studio). This studio we are staying in is unbelievably bad(torn rugs, dirty filter on air conditioner, and a very small area-we can hardly move around.) We are owners and not just renting or here as a promotion, so we went to the office and they would not find us better accomodations. All they were interested in was getting us to transfer our timeshare from Florida to here.(Which we would never do, because the rooms at Florida are GREAT! And another thing; since we are owners why do we have to pay to use the indoor swimming pool? I was told that people who own here have the highest priority. WHAT? When we bought our timeshare through Westgate we assumed that we would get the same respect at every Westgate. We have a Marriott timeshare also, and have NEVER been treated as shabbily as this!

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lindacalenzo
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
My sincere apologies to you and your family for the problems you encountered during your most recent stay. It appears that there was a misunderstanding regarding the size of the unit you were exchanging into. My suggestion for any future exchanges would be to ask the reservations agent for the square footage of the unit you will be trading into. Also, it would be very helpful if you can obtain a copy of the floor plan. That may not always be possible, but it’s worth asking for. Also, my apologies for the condition of your unit. I will discuss this with my Chief Engineer. One other suggestion for any future accommodations, no matter where you go, if you have any issues, please make an appointment to discuss these issues with the General Manager. Had I been aware of these problems, I could have jumped in and tried to make whatever adjustments I could make. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Spent a week at this resort. Great location, just a couple of minutes from downtown Gatlinburg in one direction and just a few more minutes in the other direction to Pigeon Forge, yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle to seem quiet and secluded. Staff was helpful, rooms very nice. Used one of the outdoor pools, also well maintained, nice chairs. Ate at the restaurant for breakfast one morning, had a nice reasonably priced buffet.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LindaSMissouri
We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our property. I am very happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay with us. We hope you will stay with again when you are in the Gatlinburg area.

Jefferson, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We have been owners since 2000. Each year we were asked to upgrade, which we have 3 times. We now have two units at the very top of the mountain. If you are on the 3rd or 4th floor with a balcony, the view is beautiful. You can see Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Our unit was clean, very nice. No problems with our unit. Just be sure it's the unit you purchased.

The worse sonario was at arrival we were first placed on the 1st floor in a unit you would not believe. It was so not what we purchased. The shower didn't have a door - just a curtain between it and the toilet. The washer & dryer was one of those all in one that doesn't dry your clothes completely; and, the microwave was sitting on the countertop taking up space. You had no view from the balcony. All you could see was the driveway and a few trees. Very disappointing!

Nevertheless, I REFUSED to stay there. I plainly told them that was not what we bought and for what we pay each month that was not worth it! Within 15 minutes we were placed in our regular unit on the 3rd floor with a beautiful view from the balcony and a proper shower and bathroom.

Next, the sales rep wanted to set up a meeting. My husband told them no he was not coming down to the sales room. So, she kept on and on about it until he told her she could bring the survey to our room. That wasn't good enough so she continued calling waking us up in the mornings about the survey. We had already signed off last year so what was the problem this year with another survey!! Finally; after she and my husband had some choice words, they sent a kind young man to our unit with the survey. He was very informative and out within 10 minutes. It was then and only then were we asked if we needed anything which I said maybe some tissue which they promptly sent up.

Don't eat at the restaurant. The prices are too high for the quality and quantity of the food. Also, another complaint is the restaurant manager made the remarks to about 20 people waiting to be seated at tables. His words were, "You're all on vacation, you're not going anywhere, so just relax." Some of the people had been waiting for nearly an hour to get a table. I understand people getting a little behind with their work, but the manager should not have made those remarks. That was so uncalled for. No one to my knowledge had said anything to him at all. He just takes it on himself to prance out there and make those remarks. How rude!!! Well, they lost money that week cause the four in our party left and we didn't go back. We went downtown and had a delicious dinner at Shoney's for 1/2 the price~

Other than this we had a great vacation.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors at the top of the mountain have the best views and less noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We sincerely appreciate it. My apologies for your family being assigned to the wrong room type at check-in. On very rare occasions this will occur, however, I am very happy that we were will able to move you to the correct unit. I also apologize for the issues you experienced in the restaurant. I can tell you honestly, the SmokeHouse Grill has an excellent reputation for great food and very attentive service at a reasonable price. We do hope that you give us another chance the next time you are on property.

Best Regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Very beautiful location and well laid out property really catches your eye upon arrival. The staff seemed friendly and helpful for my short stay. The rooms were well lit and airy on the deluxe side - not so much on the lockout side, obviously because of the need to optimize space. The rooms were generally clean except for the carpeting which caused your socks to turn black after just a two day stay. The toilet seat in the lockout was loose to the point of nearly coming off the bowl. One call to the desk and a 10 minute wait had a nice gentleman at the door with tools. He fixed the seat and refused a tip! A/C and fridge got things icey if left turned down for longer than a short period of time. TV sound, picture quality and channel selection were awful as usual in a resort but if I wanted good TV, I would have stayed home. WiFi reception in my room was very weak causing me to use the lobby for a constant connection. I will definately come back to stay again next time I'm in TN.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor to best take advantage of the great mountain views
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vcorde
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was very happy to hear that you will definitely return to stay with us in the future. I am also very happy to hear that you had a pleasant and timely interaction with one of our team members in the Engineering Department. That is always our goal. I was not happy to hear about the condition of the carpet in your unit. I will certainly bring this situation to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager. Thank you again for your input and we hope to see you down the road.