“This is how it should be.”

Sentinel Rock Horseback Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore this exclusive Southwest area on Horseback! We offer the best, unique and private horseback rides tailored to your riding experience (beginner through advanced) with our friendly, experienced guides and gentle, fun, well trained (and beautiful) horses. 2Hr, 2.5 Hr, and half day options are available year round (full day rides - weather permitting) exploring the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument close to Lake Powell. Instruction is also provided at the ranch. We want everyone to have a great time and have the ride of their life!
Reviewed 1 October 2014

Sara and Mike took our group of novices (six) out for a 3 hour ride and in hindsight I don't know how they managed it (but they did, brilliantly). Training-up and preparing that many beginners is not easy or ideal but we are eternally grateful to Sara and Mike for going the extra mile and doing it because we had no other option. We had a real mixed bag in our group: the horses were utterly dependable, but six novice riders is what really starts consuming attention but Sara and Mike are very attentive in matching the right horse to a specific rider. If you have a large group, my advice is to keep numbers low (split days if you have to) so that you have two or three max on a ride. Possibly not so much of a problem if there are experienced riders present, but keeping numbers low makes for a more intimate experience.

Personally I have a love-fear relationship with horses because although I love been around them I've been bitten in the past and had a few close shaves. There is absolutely NO fear of that with Sara and Mike's horses. Many animals can sense human apprehension, but none of those beauties took any advantage of that. I have never felt so safe and at ease around horses, so if I can do it, anyone can. A three hour ride is too short to form a 'bond' with a horse but my mount (Maverick) and I developed an understanding of each other and he was very forgiving of any of my shortcomings as a rider. Six novice riders and nothing but smiles at the end of three hours - says it all really. The scenery is stunning but the main attraction for me was always going to be the horses themselves. And what happy, good natured, stunningly beautiful individuals they are. This is no nose-to-tail tourist on horseback caravan job; I could listen to Sara and Mike for hours talking about their four-legged friends (which they do with a passion). I was utterly fascinated by the group interaction between all the horses and it's every bit as complex as human relationships (if not more so!).

One of the highlights of my two week holiday was sitting on my four-legged companion at the top of a high ridge and looking off into the distance across a valley toward the not-so-distant heights of the Escalante. It's one of those moments when you become unaware of anything else around you including the reality of your usual day-to-day existence. Timeless, perfect. Mental snapshot taken and stored in the memory bank forever. I'll use it every time I find myself somewhere I'd rather not be. Thank you so much.

1  Thank Flaco10004

Reviewed 22 September 2014

My husband and I spent an afternoon with Sara & Mike. They were both wonderful, took the time to make sure we were comfortable on the horses, we LOVED the fact that it was just the two us, instead of being a nameless face in a crowd. Of all the activities we participated in on our visit, this topped the list! I highly recommend Sentinel Rock Horseback Adventures!

1  Thank SS050560
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We can't thank Sara and Mike enough for the wonderful experience we had with them this summer. I was especially grateful to Sara for walking next to my seven-year-old while he rode so that we could share this experience as a family. As the other reviewers have said, this is not a typical trail ride; it was so much better!

They had extra water available for us, but make sure to bring some with you especially if you are not a desert-dweller. We have little riding experience, and they handled our inexperience kindly and thoroughly. Advanced riders would enjoy riding with Sara and Mike as well. We highly recommend riding with Sara and Mike!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Absolutely love this adventure and would highly recommend it to anyone who loves riding/horses. This is not a typical tail to nose trail ride where you are bored and the horses are bored. Sara took the time in the beginning to do some quick lessons before heading out on the ride so we would both feel comfortable with our chosen horses. Both Mike and Sara were very nice and knowledgeable on the area and we had many great conversations! We also loved how much care and dedication they had for their horses – they did not look like tired old trail horses. The horses were very well trained and didn’t want to rush back home or race each other when we were cantering/trotting. We are looking forward to going back again next year!

1  Thank Jodi225
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our family of three cancelled a nose to tail ride at Zion to ride with Sara and Mike while the family we were traveling with rafted in Page. Sara and Mike were super personable, and we enjoyed getting to know them throughout the morning. Our daughter has riding experience, so they generously both went out on the two hour ride so that Sara could do some trotting with our daughter while my wife and I simply rode our horses at a walking pace with Mike, though we traveled as a group. We each got an individual lesson/refresher on a horse chosen specifically for our size and experience, and the two hour ride started after all that. They know each horse's personality, even making an adjustment mid-ride as my horse was taking advantage of my inexperience, which Sara sensed would leave me frustrated. This is no green rolling hills ride of course, but there was variety and beauty typical of the area. We saw an antelope and her youngster and lots of jackrabbits. Great fun, and delightful folks. To our happy surprise they took photos and video on their camera that they offered to email to us. That kind of personal touch doesn't happen often, particularly without some added charge. We can't speak highly enough of Sara and Mike and our experience.

1  Thank Robert B