See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 June 2017

This hotel is located in Brooklyn, not that far away from Manhattan. Neighbourhood is full of Polish stores and restaurants. Rooms have shared bathroom but I guess that only 2 showers and 2 toilets (for men) for whole floor is not so many ... traffic, traffic ... Rooms are relatively big, beds are too noisy (when you turn to the other site, you going to probably wake up rest of the people living on the same floor) and not very comfortable. During your stay you can use all facility of the gym including pool for free. They offer you a breakfast voucher to restaurant not very far away from hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mikkimikkiSVK
Reviewed 27 May 2017

We had a class trip down to New York, this is where we stayed. We were able to have two strikes until we were kicked out. The second night we were staying that, one of our chaperones had a talk with the building manager. They said we were causing a lot of trouble with the other people staying there. So naturally, our chaperone had to figure out who it was and of course, the manager didn't know. So about 15 minutes of trying to figure out who it has he figured out that it was just the employees reported us for having to buzz us in every time we wanted to go downstairs. I understand that it can be annoying but we were being really respectful with the other people around us and we found it extremely rude that they were going to kick us out for them doing their jobs.

Room Tip: Corner suites are better, more windows.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bearhimself
Reviewed 26 May 2017

First let me start off that I was not expecting a hotel, instead simply a bed in a safe and friendly environment. I had previously stayed here before 12 years ago when it was not refurbished, and remember having the time of my life with my mother. Deciding to take an extended stay in New York, this seemed like the perfect location.

I arrived at the YMCA and was met with incredibly unfriendly staff. I first felt that I was somehow rude to them, as everything was taken in a defensive manner and I was practically shouted at for asking for the key deposit. I am an English girl in her mid-20s, and I like to be as respectful as possible. I had split my Expedia reservation into three parts, so for the first lap they initially put me on the second floor which was not awful, the bed was lumpy, but the room was spacious and reasonably clean. It was only after a few days I noticed things like the second-floor bathroom being kept dirty ( sanitary towels sticking to the shower floor, hair in the sink, no toilet paper) and it was only because I had tried to be friendly to the second floor housekeeping lady that I learnt she made a special effort at keeping my room clean and giving me fresh linens.

Everything went downhill when they found out I was staying longer and they took advantage because of my length of stay...

After an initial couple of days, for the 2/3 part of my Expedia reservation ( pre-paid, and could not cancel), they moved me to the third floor. I was told this was the only room available in the entire YMCA that I could stay in. The floor smelled of sweat, urine and pot - which was disgusting. My room was initially clean but the bed was agonisingly uncomfortable, so much so that 3 days from being in the room I paid $150 to go to an emergency doctor thinking I had a kidney infection - on top of this for antibiotics - only to find it was the bed causing this from the springs digging into my back. They still would not move me or refund me.

But the worst is still to come - In the communal area, you had to pass by to use the ladies shower or restroom, it was always filled with leering creepy guys who would make remarks at me, such as where are you going sweetie etc. It was incredibly intimidating, especially as the one who would make remarks was my neighbour. I later learned these guys were homeless when I found posts on all the doors and heard the probation officer come over to my neighbour. Another night a social worker was screaming to another guy next door to not take his pants off. Don't take me wrong, I am all for housing and keeping people off the street, being homeless does not make you a bad person - but putting a young English girl on a corridor of homeless men, no women were not safe who could be dealing with addictions of disorders. It was later on in this stay I heard some girls on a school trip in the bathroom, hugging each other to be careful and they came and told me to watch out as an incident had happened with one of the guys.

In the entire part of this stay, and because my $70 via Expedia a night landed me in the homeless corridor, my linens or towels were never changed in 18 days. Disgusting to say the least, and I ended up having to wash them myself ( they would not have known). My floor was never cleaned, and my bin only occasionally took out.

But the most undignifying things was that when I initially booked I was told I could stay up to 28 days. I had booked in parts because I was supposed to be staying with a friend but her schedule changed meaning I needed to be there for this period instead. So when I came down with 3/3 of my reservation I was told I could only stay 25 days and the reservation was not on file. I was told they had informed Expedia, and if you book online you can only stay 25 days not 28 - I was never told. So knowing I had no place to stay that evening, I was forced to beg to the reception staff to at least let me stay an extra few days to the 25-day maximum because I did not have the funds to move. Of course, this put me in a terrible situation of expensive calls to Expedia, who had never heard from them and did not understand the situation.

I was frantic and terrified since they had sprung this on me without warning and neither did I have the access to the Expedia money since it was with them. I told them I would call Expedia, after having this conversation I went out for a quick breakfast and spoke to Expedia who said they would look into this and see what they could do. When I got back the YMCA one of the staff started shouting at me to where was I going, I had not paid, and no way was I going up to my room. The manager came out and I was made to feel like a criminal because Expedia had then just cancelled this booking to refund me. Great, for all sides involved - yet I was made to feel like a thief and had law enforcement threatened on me which was a gross exaggeration. I, of course, took out my card and used the I had to cover the room for an extra three days while I waited for the refund.
I was again told this "room" was the only one I could stay with.

The reality was is the staff manhandled me like you would expect to be handled if you were homeless and under state supervision. I was paying $70 a night for this, it was prepaid and I was unable to cancel. I tried to make the best of it. But I was treated in such a rough brutal manner. The YMCA may have been renovated, but it is filthy and unkept, there was no attempt to make this a safe haven for travellers.

Today when I checked out, I was all in a flummox since I was going somewhere unplanned. I told the staff at the desk about the stress they had caused by not being clear with me - she just laughed and told her colleague that it was my fault and she did not care.

Stay here at your own peril.

Room Tip: Second floor if you have no choice but to stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank NYLONgirl13
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

This must only be the Y's attempt at making a little side cash. This place sucks and is gross. There are two communal bathrooms in the entire building for men and one for women. The showers have little to now water. The cots you sleep on are the hardness of wood. The homeless people staying there are openly smoking cigarettes and joints. There is no parking. The lie used to call this a hotel is shameless. The listing should be banned on all sites.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Kirk H
Reviewed 2 May 2017

Great location near subway. Interesting area. Great breakfast provided by ymca at a diner a block away. Room was very noisy -:people slamming bathroom doors all night and nightclub across the road goes nearly all night every night. Staff were great. Soft beds.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the bathrooms.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple