“Holy Mole!”
Review of Claro

Claro
Ranked #1,427 of 5,762 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

From the people that brought you Freek’s Mill (one of our favorites) come this Oaxacian Mexican restaurant. Oh the flavors! Lots of spice - great and interesting combinations. This is not your average Mexican restaurant (which in NYC is often Puerto Rican’s in funny hats). This is serious interior Mexico food. Exhaustive list of Mezcals (try a flight to explore this spicy agave based liquor). Great fun and packed to the gills for good reason. Go.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

We managed to get a table at this very hyped restaurant. Honestly, it was packed and deafeningly loud. We expected an awesome food experience and everything was just average. Not sure why this place is so "hot" -- maybe it's because it has little competition in Gowanus.

We had a bunch of dishes, tacos, tostada like dishes, a cooked pork (small!) --beef short rub was also small and $32 . The place is overpriced. We all not go back.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

My friends and I met here for dinner the other night and were SO pleased. We made a reservation for 6:15PM but when we arrived, there were only a few table occupied. By 6:45PM, the place was completely full. I would recommend making a reservation before going.

Inside, you can see so many old Brooklyn touches: the tin stamped ceiling, the stamped tin walls, the gorgeous floor. I love restaurants that keep these old school details in their decor and don’t try to modernize everything so much. The bar is tiled and overall, the whole restaurant is adorable.

There is a fairly large cocktail menu that is very interesting. My friend and I settled on the carrot juice mezcal cocktail and our other friend chose one of the beers from the list.

The restaurant is in a communicable share small plate style and our server recommended we get between 5-7 items. I am a vegetarian and there were 3 items I could get. We got those and my friends got the tuna toastada as well. We also shared the sides. I asked the server if I could just get a plate of avocado slices to put in the tortillas and they accommodated me so nicely!

We started with the squash salad. The dressing usually has grasshoppers in it and they brought that dressing on the side as well as a blood orange one, which was delicious! The salad was amazing. So flavorful and tasty. Next came the avocado toastada with pomegranate seeds and beets. This was unreal. It had so much flavor and each part complimented the other. Just amazing. After that, the mushroom toastada came out. It was good but not my favorite. It was fine, just didn’t blow me away like the other items. My friends LOVED their tuna tartare. They couldn’t stop raving about it.

I will absolutely come back here. I love that more stuff is opening on 3rd avenue and Claro is definitely a keeper.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Claro serves tasty dishes not likely to be found in other places. It’s best to come with three or more so that you can experience more dishes. Save room for dessert! Despite the high prices, the place was packed on a Sunday night

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

There is a lot of hype about this place, and understandably so given that Freeks Mill is spot on for me. Claro was good, but the portions are small and a bit salty for my taste. We had the Lobster Tostada, Shrimp Aguachile, Tetela, Salmon Ceviche and Wild Mushroom Quesadilla. My friend and I dont have huge appetites but we ordered five dishes and could have had another. The Mezcal drinks on the other hand were delicious, I would go back just for one of those.

Been to Claro? Share your experiences!