1,117 results
All reviewsnew yorkfront desk staffrooftop barfulton malljay stbarclays centerfew blockssubway stationlobbynycspghipvaletneighborhoodcabjfkdeli
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The front desk staff was disorganized and seemingly unconcerned with being helpful. I twice saw one of the girls push off the blame/responsibility for something onto her coworker. There seemed to be a constant line at the front desk where the staff couldn't seem to efficiently help the guests, so there was always a wait, and when we arrived to check in, we were barely even acknowledged before simply being told there were no rooms ready. My husband then asked the other girl at the front desk who said she'd check on our room and get back to us and we could have a seat while we waited. An hour later I asked again about the status of our room and was told it still wasn't ready because the carpets were being cleaned and that we could leave our bags with them if we wanted to go out for a walk or something while we waited. The storage room where they put the guests' bags was left wide open and not at all secure, so we decided to take our bags back to our car and leave them there while we took a walk. After still another hour or so we returned and had to wait in yet another long line of guests to get checked in, which in and of itself took forever because the staff couldn't efficiently work their computer.

After the drawn out check-in ordeal, we finally got into our room. The rest of the hotel experience was fine, but not much else. The lobby and elevator decor was meant to be modern but instead it seemed contrived and random. Our room was spacious enough but I suspect only because we'd been upgraded to a suit. The furniture wasn't really my taste but it was comfortable. The biggest disappointment about the room was that there were only 2 small windows in the bedroom, so there wasn't much light. Also when we got into our room, the carpet was still wet from the cleaning.

My husband is a platinum Starwood member, so we stay at Starwood hotels frequently, and I've always had great experiences until now. The hotel itself is fine, but there were too many negatives upon first arriving to make me want to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and your husband. As a Platinum Starwood member you expect to receive efficient and friendly service and we always try our best to deliver it, but I will address the concerns with the front office staff. I'm glad the front desk upgraded your room due to the situation and I would also like to extend a discount offer on your next stay with us. Please give us another opportunity if your travels bring you to the Brooklyn area. You may reach me at newston.reinoso@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com and I could assist with the booking. I ensure you we will make it right.

Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here to visit our daughter nearby in Brooklyn. The room was modern, shipshape and comfortable. It was quiet, clean and there was a plugin everywhere you would have wanted one. We thought more than one kid on duty at the front desk would've been better. There is another hotel next door, but everything else is under construction or derelict on the street. We stayed on the sixth floor and did not hear anything from the club up top.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Birdish
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am glad you had a wonderful stay. We do schedule 2 Talent members per shift and an additional associate on the busier days out the week. I apologize if you had to wait for assistance. The downtown area is growing and as you mentioned there is construction in the area, but only Monday to Saturday and we have not receive any noise complaints from guests. We welcome you back to our hotel in the future when your travels bring you into Brooklyn.

Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Very very small rooms. They do make excellent use of the small space, but it feels like the walls are closing in on you. The carpet was dirty/stained & you can hear everyone on the floor. The snarky, snotty child at the desk was practically yelling at customers. If the room cost $100 I'd say it was good but for our "discounted" price of $250 it was not worth it.

It is definitely not up to the SPG standard.

• Stayed: October 2012
newston r, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at my hotel. I apologize if you found our hotel rooms to be small, but we do compare to the average New York City hotel room size. We also offer suites, which are larger in size if you are interested for your future travels. My housekeeping department has one of the highest scores for cleanliness, but thank you for bringing to our attention regarding the stain carpet. I will ensure we re-inspect the room ASAP and correct anything we find not up to standards. Once again, thank you for the feedback and please contact me when you book your next reservation and I could check for an upgrade based on availability.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I wish I remember the woman's name who was at the front desk who checked me in on Saturday morning (around 7:30am) October 6th because she deserves to be called out for her great attitude and very warm, friendly, and funny disposition. Most people, myself included are not that perky on an early Saturday morning. Anyway she was fantastic. I came in from a red eye flight from San Francisco and was exhausted (I worked all day Friday then took the red eye) so when I went to check in I probably looked like hell. Well I didnt expect to get a room so early but low and behold she said there was a room for me to get in right away. I was ecstatic! After a quick check-in I went up the elevator which was fast and responsive and got in my nice clean modern room. Everything was there that is expected and needed. The AC was a bit loud but not bad at all. The layout of the room was nice and well thought out. I got in bed and passed out till noon and then headed out. There is a subway entrance about 3-5 minutes from the hotel, so a quick walk to the subway, a 10 minute ride and I was in Manhattan. I think this place is great and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Este M

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Aloft New York Brooklyn Hotel. I am glad we had a room for you to check in early in the morning. We understand sometimes guest travel on a Red Eye flight and if we have the room available, then we are more than happy to check the guest in. I will definitely share the comments with the talent front office member who assisted you. As you mentioned, there are several subway lines within walking distance to the hotel and only 10 minutes away from the city. We are also walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge for amazing sightseeing of NYC downtown area. Please be our guest again when your travels bring you into Brooklyn.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We booked two rooms and requested that they be adjacent or at least on the same floor and, having read the reviews about the nightclub, asked to be on a lower/quieter floor. I confirmed this request again with reservations a few days before we checked in. But they put us on two separate floors, both higher in the building. Local staff were friendly, but didn't do much to help. They said they couldn't honor requests made to reservations! We requested that our rooms be moved, but that almost didn't happen. The morning staff would tell us a room would be ready for us in the afternoon, but by the time we got back the room would be given away and the afternoon staff wouldn't know anything about our request. This happened twice. To top it all off, we have now been double billed for one of the rooms. This happened even after I confirmed at check out which credit card should be charged! So poorly managed - I will never go to an Aloft Hotel again.

Room Tip: Lower floors, but bring your ear plugs because you'll probably need them.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan M

Thank you for sharing your experience at my hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience of the noise and lack of communication as you stated. The adjoining/connecting room request is something we try our best to accommodate, but sometimes due to high occupancy we cannot process the request. We should have been able to move your rooms to another location the next day and I am sorry that is not what happened. Please contact me at to discuss more in detail.

newston.reinoso@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com