All reviews hipster hotel train noise new york clean hotel joseph cleanliness dryer subway block
Reviewed 2 January 2018

At check out wasn't acknowledged by the receptionist. Not very friendly. Just looked at me and continued talking on the phone. Remote to t.v. did not work-second time this happens during my stay. Rooms not very clean, I noted a red stain near the bed by the window and not to mention the floors. Then receptionist informed me about a complaint about my music being too loud when the music was coming from my cell phone. This was also on a Saturday night. This 3 day stay that cost $1,000 was not worth it. Doubt I will be returning to this hotel to give my business.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimi85240
RobertoVincitore, General Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Hello,

I'm really sorry you had an issue with our Front Desk.
I'd like to investigate it further.

Please reach out to me at roberto.vincitore@hotel-rl.com

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

don't get even numbered room! they say a tornado sounds like a passing train, at this hotel the tornadoes go by every few minutes, 20 feet from your window - ask for odd numbered room (on other side from trains)

staff was fine, rooms were small modern industrial (nice)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank K1666WYadams
RobertoVincitore, General Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Hello,

Thank you for the compliments about our staff and the Hotel design, we are proud of it.

I hope you will be back in the future, we will provide a room away from the passing trains.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Firstly, the hotel is immediately adjacent to the railway that runs directly in line with the rooms.

The hotel is very basic and although they had complimentary coffee, they didn’t have any milk on any of the mornings.

The hotel is in a rundown area and nowhere near Brooklyn Bridge.

Find somewhere else to stay

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hello,

I'm sorry we didn't have the milk.

The cafeteria was under renovation, now we have breakfast and every kind of coffee and milk.

I hope you will come back and enjoy it!

Reviewed 18 November 2017

I stayed at the Hotel RL for 10 nights - from a Thursday night and through two weekends - so I was able to assess the hotel on every night of the week and have a good sense of how it operates. The reason I chose this hotel is because it was the closest hotel to where my son is living in Brooklyn. What I liked about the hotel was the location and the multitude of electrical outlets everywhere. I could walk two block to the J and M lines and get to New York City quickly. There were convenient outlets in my room right next to my bed with convenient little shelves to place my cell phone for recharging and I could work on my laptop everywhere in the common areas. This was convenient. The beds in the rooms were comfortable and although my window faced the Metro line, the sound didn't really bother me and I slept fine. If a person is a light sleeper they could ask for a quieter room that is located on the other side of the hotel facing the other direction. The staff was young and local and a bit inexperienced but very friendly and laid back which I liked. What I didn't like is that the staff didn't understand the importance of 24x7 coffee, milk and creamer, for us old souls. Although the on-line ads indicated there would be custom crafted coffee 24x7 - it was a lie. It could not be further from the truth. I only got coffee two of eleven mornings - rather ridiculous - and it was at the whim of whoever manned the lobby desk. The staff did encourage me to get my coffee and bagels at BK Bagels down the street - which I did most mornings - and the place was okay. The other odd thing was the bar and restaurant area. Although a restaurant was advertised on line - there was no food served on the premises - rather inconvenient. There were many patrons and locals who walked into the bar area who wanted to use their credit card or charge the costs to their room, but the bar only took cash. I was told when I checked in that this would be taken care of the next day - something to do with the prior general manager leaving and the current manager not knowing how to work the computer. I stayed ten nights and it was never taken care of and I saw many people come and leave the bar because it wouldn't take a credit card nor could they charge their room. The hotel lost a lot of business - which is too bad because the bar and lounge/table area is perfect for hanging out and music/entertainment venues. Also, they didn't play the NY Yankees versus Houston Astros baseball game on the television - apparently they didn't get that channel. They lost a lot of business by not having the baseball game on the television. This is definitely a local hotel in that there was encouragement to go to the local businesses to eat and drink; but what about the great venue the hotel offers? One afternoon a band that was staying at the hotel practiced their set on the stage in the bar/lounge area and it was great free entertainment. One night a local rapper came in and did a set which was also great. They need to work on their restaurant/bar/night scene. I like the fact that they hire locals and the locals encourage going to local places but they need to improve the attraction of their own lounge/bar/restaurant as well - it is a very cool venue if they put some thought into it. There is tons of potential for this place if they focus on the common areas. My only other comment is the housekeeping service - inexperienced would be the best word for it. There were several mornings in which I didn't have towels because they were choosing to do laundry in the mid morning - rather than at night. I had a bath mat and enough towels about 3/4 of the time - the rest of the time I had to ask for towels and wait for them. I hope this hotel makes it because it has a lot of potential and I like the vibe regardless of the hiccups. I will be back to visit my son and will likely stay here again and I look forward to seeing how much the place has improved the next time I stay there.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the side of the hotel which is away from the metro
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Monica H
RobertoVincitore, General Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2017

Hello Monica,

First of all thank you very much for your super detailed review.

I'm really sorry you didn't feel the potential of the Hotel being taken seriously. You are right, this Hotel has a great potential and the brand new management is here to make it flourish.
We are working very hard on the cafeteria/bar renovation. I'm proud to let you know that in January we are going to have a full bar and cafeteria. The complementary coffee for our guest is already brewed 24/7!
About the TV, we are upgrading our premium cable package to make everyone enjoy prime shows and sports.

Please, next time you come in Brooklyn to visit you son, reach out with us and I'll personally make sure you will have the best service ever.

We all hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

Staff were warm and inviting. Our first room did not have a working toilet, had to call front desk and move belongings to another room. Second room did not have a private shower. Could see into shower from beds/common area. Second room was also right beside the subway, could hear the train all night (24 hour service). Last night in the hotel, did not have soap or shampoo after housekeeping. No hairdryer in room, having to go to front desk to retrieve.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm really sorry you had a not excellent experience at our Hotel.

The management just changed and we already fixed several issues we had in the past.
Feel free to reach out with us and we'll make sure your next reservation will exceed your expectation.