“Overall, a great hostel”

The New York Loft Hostel
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Overall, a great hostel”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

A great hostel but we had a frustrating stay. When I called to book I specifically asked if the twin private room had a double bunk or single and was told that all the bunks had a double on the bottom. I arrived exhausted after a fulls days travel to find a pokey creakey bunk in a room right next to the fire exit door to the kitchen, probably the loudest room in the building. Granted, a travelling couple might not be the hostels core market, but the reviews were so positive we thought it was the best New York had to offer on a budget.

The next day we were able to upgrade to a private ensuite, which had a double lower bunk. These rooms were brilliant, i can't recommend more for New York. You are right on a good trainline into Manhattan, the beds are comfy, the ensuite a bonus, though the walls are paper thin. The area is a little daunting at first, but really has a great alternative atmosphere. Sadly we could only have this room for two of the four nights so we were back to the worst room of the building, but we had a brief glimpse of a what it could be.

If you are a couple, book a private ensuite, perfect for a cheap getaway to New York; as someone travelling alone the hostel is perfect, the bulding is clean, the communal breakfasts and bbqs are a great idea. I'd feel more than happy to travel there alone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2011

My expectations were exceeded at my stay in The New York Loft Hostel. It was very well kept and I always saw staff walking around the hostel making sure everything was clean. They had plenty of options for breakfast (fruits, cereal, juice, milk etc.) and the kitchen/common area is a very nice, open space that I often found myself gravitate towards after my days sightseeing. The neighbourhood may seem a little sketchy at first, but I did not feel unsafe at any moment in this quiet area. There is a 24 hour grocery store when you get off the metro as well as various bars and coffee shops where I met many kind locals that made me fall in love with the area even more (oh, and a liquor store). I stayed in an all-female dorm and found it very spacious and I appreciated the dividers, coat racks (good for wet towels), bedside lockers, and bedside lamps. The washrooms were also quite nice and cleaned everyday. Don't let the location deter you! The L train runs 24/7 and is 15mins from Manhattan and also takes you to all the fun places in Williamsburg (definitely an area to explore). It had been my first time traveling to NYC alone and my first time staying at a NY hostel, and after much research, I am very, very, happy that I picked The New York Loft Hostel. I would most definitely be back at that hostel again. Great quality and an amazing price!

Also, if you're an artist of any sort, Williamsburg is a great location to stay and the hostel seems to attract those interested in the arts. Whether it's music, film, sculpture, painting, fashion, photography, etc. It prompted very enriching dialogue.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank krishday
UK
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the NY loft hostel. It makes you travel slightly off the beaten track and see a part of New York that you wouldn't probably visit otherwise. The hostel is clean, friendly and the breakfasts and bbqs are very generous, good quality and free. My highlight was visiting the vintage clothes caravan shop, which arrives every evening. $10 for any item. Don't miss out on the pizza restaurant that you could easily miss from the look of it. Check out Bedford Rd for funky shops and great cafes. As a solo female traveller it is fine, only a short walk from the tube and there are often others about whatever time of day. I'd return.

Room Tip: I stayed in a couple of the rooms and they all seem fine.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank korf_girl
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Neighboorhood looks a little abandoned at first, but I guess that's all part of the "hip" vibe. I'll keep it short: GREAT service, good beds, GREAT location (the neighboorhood really is great once you talk a walk around the block). The only downside is the breakfast. I'm not overly health-conscious, but the only items on offer were sugar-heavy breakfast cereals..

Great stay though, would definitely recommend this hostel

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 7 November 2011

en excellent hostel, clean, friendly help full staff, dorm rooms are large, beds are comfortable with own locker, power outlet, mini lamp. two adequate bathrooms per dorm. breakfast is free and plentiful. location is great, 2 blocks from subway. grocery store and liquor store next door. wifi fast and works everywhere, in rooms also.

definitely recommend, 100% you wont be dissappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn
Midtown
#3 of 72 in Brooklyn
BKLYN House
#27 of 72 in Brooklyn

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Brooklyn

Been to The New York Loft Hostel? Share your experiences!