“Soft serve ice cream”

Carl's
Price range: USD 2 - USD 7
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Open from Friday before Presidents Day through Sunday before Thanksgiving. 3 flavors, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry made fresh every day. Historical landmark with huge neon cone on top. Walk up window with outdoor patio. Cash only.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

People flock to Carl’s it is so popular & loved. It only accepts cash, and the lines go around the block. But I never cared for Carl’s. The only ice cream is soft— comes out of a machine. You decide...

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Carl's is the go-to place after dinner (or anytime you need a refreshing treat)! Carl's frozen custard is simple yet delicious. It's so smooth and full of flavor. My personal favorite is a simple chocolate shake, though the pineapple shake is refreshing on a hot summer's day.

If there is a late-night line, it is well worth the wait (there's a reason there's a line wrapped around the building)!!! It is, and always has been, cash-only; that's part of what makes Carl's Carl's to us locals. It's been around since 1947 and hasn't changed since!

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank Kyle B
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I wonder how many desserts are sold in downtown Fredericksburg, since many people count on Carl's for their dessert. I know our family rarely orders dessert if we're anywhere near Carl's.

I stopped in last weekend with our daughter, or course we couldn't pass it by without stopping. For those who haven't been, the line forms across the front of the building and around the rail to the street, cash only, a chocolate sugar cone is known as "sugar chocolate", $5s and $1s are always appreciated, and be ready to grab your cone as it's handed out the window. We've had so many Carl's cones over the years, we know the drill by heart! That chocolate sugar tasted just as good as the first one I had many years ago. We love Carl's and stop by as often as we can!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Nothing new to be said. I’ve been coming here since 1976. Although the prices have increased, the quality is still outstanding. Try the root bear float. Heaven.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 25 March 2018

After being in town for a few days, I quickly learned that Carl's is a treasured landmark in Fredericksburg and after you taste their incredible ice cream you will know why.... They create a perfect milk shake, mainly because their ice cream is very smooth and super creamy, while also rich and flavorful! Without question Carl's has some of the best ice cream that I have ever eaten (and I have eaten my share of ice cream :-) Surprise the family and take them by for dessert, or a good snack, sometime - you will be glad you did!

Date of visit: September 2017