“Solid food. Not super expensive. Right in Coolidge Corner.”
Review of Lineage - CLOSED

Lineage
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: On the T, The Beacon Street Green line (C) train, at the Coolidge Corner stop. On the Bus, Take the 66 Bus to Coolidge Corner.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 25 November 2007

Solid food. Not super expensive. Right in Coolidge Corner.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
There are newer reviews for Lineage

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 21 November 2007

A great addition to Brookline

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Given that this ravenous reviewer intends to take his mother out for an unforgettable birthday dinner, and spend it alongside his spouse, his brother, and his brother’s wife, what finer and more fitting way then but to spend it at Lineage, a Brookline-based eatery that celebrates family heritage? After all, Jeremy and Lisa Sewall form a potent husband-and-wife tandem whose concept of “Lineage” spawns from the former’s very own (for instance, one fascinating tidbit is that one of his predecessors served as Brookline’s first Town Clerk and even lent the name of his family’s “Brooklin” lands to this very community). Will Lineage ultimately continue Mr. Sewall’s longstanding family tradition of perfection or will Paul’s Palate recommend that this establishment be removed from the family tree?

Lineage’s interior is sleek, yet warm, and deceptively large. To our left, we discover an airy dining area, and straight ahead, a greenish, modestly-lit bar where several lively patrons are seated. We select a more slightly intimate room to our right, which includes plush carpeting and a soothing maritime painting sprawled against its back wall. Our jovial hostess greets us and directs us to our table.

What our server lacks in vivacity and menu mastery, she accounts for in both courtesy and attentiveness. Her first cocktail recommendation is a Brazilian rum that is supposed to be sweet but resembles nothing more than a bland mojito. The refreshingly sweet Lineage Lemonade, however, is a real crowd pleaser: refreshing, sweet, and playfully presented in the form of a “black and tan” (in this case, red and yellow).

For appetizers, our server encourages us to sample the luscious halibut tacos, a unique dish whose buttery, moist fish is the most mouth-watering I’ve had in recent memory. The only shortcoming here is that only four are plated. This reviewer is prepared to jump out of his seat and seek out Mr. Sewall to ascertain if this particular family recipe is for sale. Not to be outdone, however, is the homemade tomato soup served with truffle oil and crisp beignets. The soup is light, yet hearty, sooths one’s stomach, and is the perfect lead-in to our main courses.

My spouse’s pork is both succulent and meaty, accompanied by savory roasted figs, fingerling potatoes, and spinach. The remainder of our table gnaws on savory steak layered with bleu cheese and mashed potatoes. I must admit, however, that my homemade potato gnocchi dish reigns supreme. In stark contrast to most gnocchi dishes which are typically served Italian style (on the heavier side with tomato sauce), the Sewalls bravely render this delicacy as if it has emerged straight from their own personal garden. Sweet corn and vibrantly colored lobster mushrooms adorn this light, yet delectable dish.

The dessert debate begins and abruptly ends with Lineage’s signature dish, its butterscotch pudding. Once again, the Sewalls break slightly from tradition by replacing the prototypically gooey-textured concoction with a pasty, Mazapan-like sweet substance, which is drizzled with both Chantilly cream and caramelized pecans. This dish would convert the most skeptical of pudding phobes, myself included.

In terms of its location, Lineage can be viewed as either a blessing or a curse. For atmosphere alone, the restaurant resides on bustling Harvard Street just outside of college-friendly Coolidge Corner. Parking spaces, however, are scarce in this vicinity, so be prepared to walk. I, however, would gladly venture across all of Boston just to get a taste of what the Sewalls have cooked up. After all, their menu is reasonably priced compared to their urban bretheren (appetizers average $12, entrees come in around $24, and desserts at $8). Lineage ultimately upholds two key traditions: first, maintaining Mr. Sewall’s upstanding family reputation within the Brookline community, and most importantly, appealing to Paul’s Palate’s taste buds.

Reviewed 15 December 2006

I arrived at about 5:10 on a Tuesday, with no reservation. There was one couple at a table, and another couple arrived at the same time as I. I was greeted with "Are you here for dinner?" which I thought was a bit odd. It's not like I was carrying a bucket and mop. I was even sporting one of those things... wuddiyacallit... a tie!

Their ambiance is attempting "stark modern," but lacked lighting, color, seating design or anything else to give it the drama that makes "stark" work. On the other hand, I went for the food, and it was excellent... starting with a perfect vodka martini ("Lineage Martini") with a curly twist. $9.50 The half dozen oysters were $14, and were opened and served perfectly... no bits of shell, oyster liquor retained, chilled exactly right, and they were fresh, plump and sweet. I could have made a meal of appetizers alone... so many with descriptions that made them very appealing. I settled on the "white" pizza. Delicate crust with just the right amount of toppings. I ordered salmon, and Jason (knowledgeable and attentive server) asked how I wanted it cooked. I asked that it be cooked to chef's preference. It arrived hot, and slightly crusty on the exterior and the interior was just on the cooked side of rare... perfect, again. It had a wonderful smokey aroma, lightly salted and succulent. (I don't remember the accompanying vegetables, but my plate was absolutely clean when I finished.) For dessert, I had pear upside down cake... good, but not rave-worthy... and rooibos tea. By 6:15, I was ready to go, and the place was packed, with people waiting near the door. It looked like it was getting hectic. Glad I went early.

3  Thank Kentuck
Reviewed 24 July 2006

Perfection. Appetizer Corn Bisque with potato corn fritter, house salad w/ citrus dressing.. Entrees Scallops w/ peas, Pork Chop, Roast Chicken . All done superbly. Service and atmosphere couldn't have been better.Really a memorable meal.