“Happily surprised”

Add it.
Budda Chen
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I have seen many establishments come and go at this location. But hopefully this restaurant will stick. The prices are typical city prices for a nicer restaurant. The selection varied and everything we tried was delicious. The small plate menu was interesting. You can order three for $18 on Monday through Thursday. We tried three and found them tasty and reasonable to share. We also ordered twin lobsters cooked asian style and we spent much time slurping the sauce off the shells. The service was a little slow. The waiter apologized for the wait because it was really busy. I looked around and there were only about 6 or so tables seated. This left me a bit perplexed because the restaurant probably has about 30 tables. Never the less, I was not in a hurry, so it didn't matter. It was also a bit chilly inside the restaurant, so dress warmly.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Buddachen is a surprisingly unique find in a sleepy section of Brookline with few other food options. I was only passing through the suburb for the evening and took advantage of the restaurant's "small plate special" where you could combine three entrees for the price of 2. It was definitely excessive food for one person (especially when combining with the edamame starter), but I used the opportunity to try a number of the dishes that had come highly recommended by the restaurant staff. I took the whole meal for takeout which was still arranged nicely. I didn't get to experience it for more than five minutes to pick up my meal, but the interior seems very well decorated with a bar area that feels like an Asian-influenced neighborhood pub and then a well-appointed contemporary spin on a traditional Asian restaurant further back. The food was generally excellent quality and well-thought out. My only complaint was that the food was a bit under-spiced for typical Asian fare. This isn't insolvable but once I had left the only condiment that had been provided was a single packet of soy sauce.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

They recently added "Asian Tapas". You can choose a number of smaller items for a great price. Srvice was fun and prompt

Reviewed 3 August 2012

close to hotel and fresh food - we actually got take out and it was as well prepared as if we had sat down in the restaurant itself

Reviewed 25 June 2012

First off decor... from the outside looks horrible since its in a lobby of an apartment building. Once inside though the place is well decorated with a huge Budda, comfortable tables/booths and a pleasant atmosphere.

The menu is great if you like chinese food or sushi. The chinese food is almost tapas style with dishes that are small and cost between 6-10 dollars which I think is a great change from normal asian restaurants.

We got the seaweed salad which was plentiful and delicious as well as Edamame while steaming hot lacked salt and flavor. We shared two sushi rolls which were well made though the spicy tuna did not have any kind of spiciness to it which I normally enjoy. The highlight of the meal was the general crispy chicken made with apples and strawberries. Yes, I was skeptical but it tasted like the best general gau chicken I have had. The sauce wasn't overly sweet like I feared it would be and while it coated the chicken everywhere did not have the same heavyness like other general gau's. In addition the chicken itself was a very good quality, not the mystery meat you sometimes get from a take out place. Lastly we had the twice drunk pork belly with veggies and garlic. It was grilled, a little spicy and delicious. We had a bottle of wine and the total meal only cost 70 dollars before tip.

Overall the food was great and while this may be a detractor we went on a Saturday night at 745pm and we were one of 5 tables in there. Generally a sign of a bad restaurant but on this occasion not at all. Good food and a nice ambiance.