“Excellent family trip!”
Review of Savannah

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
florida
3 helpful votes
“Excellent family trip!”
Reviewed 1 October 2009

My husband, our two teenage girls, and I had a wonderful time exploring Savannah during our long weekend trip. We were able to see the entire city using the Ogelthorpe trolley tour. And because it is the most haunted city in the country, we just had to do their trolley ghost tour and then the Ghost Talk Ghost Walk tour the next night.
We had a perfect room for our family at the Olde Harbour Inn on the river front. My husband and I had our own bedroom downstairs and the girls had their privacy in the loft above the living room.
The city's architecture, food and stories make Savannah a must-see city. My suggestion, if you have not done so already, is read "the book"...Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. "The book" is mentioned several times on tours throughout the city. Other movie scenes were mentioned as well, such as Chippewa Square, where Forrest Gump sat on a bench and told his story, and the phone booth where Julia Roberts made a call in "Something to Talk About". The Pirates' House was a fun place to eat and while we waited for our table, we were given a tour of the centuries-old building. The Juliette Gordon Lowe house (the birthplace of the Girl Scouts) was beautiful and the tour guide had wonderful stories to tell about that amazing woman.
The people of Savannah were very welcoming to our family and we would love to visit again some day!

UK
4 helpful votes
“BEST antique store in Savannah”
Reviewed 12 September 2009

When you get to the point where if you see another offensively ugly and overpriced piece of decorative china, you'll start to try and gnaw off your own leg, then head for The Attic antique store on Bay Street.
Compared to most of its brethren in the city, this shop carries stock that is truly interesting, giving browsers a chance to pick up some oddity of Americana that has a feeling of individuality and social history about it.
On my recent visit I purchased (amongst other things) a handful of 1930's family photos, an old chain fish hanger, a baseball, a vintage 'Tasty-Lax' laxatives tin, and a rattle-snake's rattle.
The atmosphere is relaxing and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Go there - it's great.
Charlie

1 Thank farmgirlUk
Maine
“The Best Trip Ever !!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

My husband and I recently went on a trip for our 10 year anniversary. I had always wanted to go to Savannah, even as a child. The city did not disappoint. It was the most amazing city we have ever travelled to. It had everything. There is history and entertainment. There are ghosts, and romantic dinners. The River walk is a blast, and there is something new everywhere you turn. I could go on forever. We can't wait to go back, and are even talking about retiring there. It is not to be missed !!!!

2 Thank Travel2Fun
boston, ma
4 helpful votes
“Nice to look at, but not much going on...”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I recently visited Savannah with a close friend for a girls' weekend. We love the South and were hoping for a weekend of fabulous sites, delicious food and great shopping. Well, we found the first part but not the other two. Savannah is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited, but it is kind of boring. The shopping was underwhelming... the stores were overpriced and un-interesting (we came from Boston and Washington, DC, so we obviously have access to good stores at home and were looking for something more regional and distinctive). But the shops were not as disappointing as the food. I found it interesting that when we asked around, no two people recommended the same restaurant. And when we asked about a restaurant someone else recommended, that person often "never heard of it." In other words, there weren't well-known, consistently great restaurants that locals agreed upon. Our meals were average at best. We stayed at a very nice inn called President's Quarters which I would highly recommend if you're going to stay over. It's conveniently located near everything and the staff and room were great (only a small plumbing issue in our bathroom, but otherwise a great inn). Also, we went in early June and it was about 100 degrees, so walking around the city wasn't entirely enjoyable. We took a historic trolley tour which was the highlight of the weekend. And don't even get me started on how disappointing the whole Paula Deen scene was... boooooooor-ing shop and, from what we heard, a very underwhelming experience at Lady & Sons with a two hour wait to eat and food that's sitting out under lamps at a buffet. In summary, I would say that Savannah is a beautiful, historic city that's worth visiting. But take the trolley tour, check out the riverfront and the beautiful historic architecture, then head out. No need to spend more than a day. Happy travels!

4 Thank jennybeam
Orlando
“Great getaway weekend”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We really enjoyed Savannah & felt that we experienced true Southern Hospitality.

Been to Savannah? Share your experiences!