The DeSoto
USD 164
USD 227
USD 206
  • Pool
The Marshall House(Savannah)(Great Value!)
USD 178
  • Restaurant
River Street Inn(Savannah)(Great Value!)
USD 205
USD 209
USD 174
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationfront deskbuffalo bayouwater issuecorner king roomhistoric districthotel is beautifulsouthern hospitalityevery employeeforsyth parknice poolthe riverwithin walking distancea great staychecking outcomfortable bedsvalet parking
Reviewed 8 December 2017

I'll start with the negatives and end with positive. Upon our arrival one of the managers (Janel) was speaking in a rude manner towards the check-in staff. In my opinion, it is supremely unprofessional to degrade an employee at any time, but most especially in front of clients. I will add that this was our very first impression of "southern charm" as we had just landed from the north east. It was quite the disappointing arrival, to say the least

I had asked the front desk person a question about my bill she was unsure of, so she referred me to the same manager. She responded to me in a very abrupt, matter of fact and rude manner. I was very taken aback and disappointed with her response and behavior.

We stayed for 3 nights at The Desoto, and our room was clearly not being cleaned. It appeared as though the cleaning crew was coming in, making the bed, emptying the garbage and then leaving. The shower had mold in it, our towels were not replaced and our coffee was not replaced. Funny to say the cleaning crew forgot all of the essentials, but certainly did not forget to take the tip we left them out of courtesy.

Despite the above disappointments, it was an enjoyable stay in Savannah. The front desk (with the exception of that one manager) was very friendly and accommodating, the coffee from the cafe was the best in town, the servers at the restaurant were informative and kind, and the decor of the building was very aesthetically pleasing.

Location is amazing, probably the best choice I could have made. We were walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do (10 min walk to Forsyth Park, 3 minute walk to Sorrell House, 15 min walk to River Street, etc)

Considering the amount of money we spent on our 3 day stay, I most certainly expected more. I would not necessarily discourage someone from staying here though. I think we may have just had an unfortunate start with them. Best of luck and enjoy your time in lovely Savannah.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank mcorrig67
KolinP_SotherlyHost, Sotherly Host at The DeSoto, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Dear mcorrig67,

First, I want to thank you for staying with us at The DeSoto Savannah recently. There are so many choices in the historic downtown area and to narrow it down is a tough job. At The DeSoto, we strive to deliver true Southern Hospitality from pulling into our valet area, to check-in, during every facet of your stay, and during departure. I apologize for your missing out on what is usually a pleasant and helpful team. There is no excuse for poor greetings and not making you feel welcome from the beginning.

I won’t make excuses for the lack of housekeeping, either. A clean room with the proper amenities replaced daily is an essential need in a comfortable hotel space. I assure you I am looking into the situation with the housekeeeping manager to improve service.

All this being said, I thank you for the kind review and honesty. The team at the front desk usually shines and is pleasant as you stated. The coffee at Buffalo Bayou is locally sourced and is roasted and ground just 3 blocks away! As for the location, we go back to 1890 in this very spot and have always been a center of the city both geographically and at the hearts of many locals.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel was the second last one we visited on our journey through the Southern States. It was in a great position. The bed was very comfortable and the French Fries they serve in the bar were the best I have tasted.
The downside was the service. The hotel reception people were the least friendly of any establishment we stayed at. Given this is an upmarket hotel I expected better. A smile at least. Other staff great. But reception is the first point of contact and they need to be welcoming and not make people feel uncomfortable while they wait and wait for service.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
KolinP_SotherlyHost, Sotherly Host at The DeSoto, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Hello Kerry R,

Thank you for your honest and nice review of The DeSoto. Our motto is, "Our Town. Your Home". We always want our guests to feel welcome and at home in Savannah, as she is the premier location in the South for delivering authentic hospitality. I apologize that we did not deliver that to you at every turn of your stay with us. One thing we strive for when adding team members and training them is that they need to be truly passionate about Savannah and helping people have a great time here. Every once in awhile, we get into our daily chore list and miss out completely in greeting our new friends and guests with a warm smile and a "Hello! How are you?".

I passed on the comment about our delicious fries to the kitchen staff as they are my favorite, too! So are the beds and sheets for a good night's rest or a nap between tours and shopping. Thank you for taking the time to review us and we hope that we will see you again at The DeSoto Savannah.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

Location is great in historic downtown on one of the squares with a bookstore across the street!!; Staff was so friendly, wanting to make your stay pleasant; Custodial crew paid attention to details; elegant and modern hotel done in whites and grey. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Hi Janet B,

Thank you for the glowing review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at The DeSoto. Savannah's "gems", the 22 squares that make up the perfect grid of fun shops, gorgeous homes, and great local restaurants. That bookstore, E Shaver, is one of those quintessential Savannah shops and has been open for more than 40 years! I just love having these places within close walking distance for all our guests to enjoy. We know we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2017

I can't begin to express what a joy and pleasure it was to work with the outstanding Desoto team during a wedding my company planned for a bride! I wanted to brag on the exceptional and intuitive service, impeccable food and lovely updated decor. Any bride or client thinking about hosting a wedding here, don't think twice! You will be more than satisfied! Please pass my deepest thanks onto your banquet, culinary, housekeeping and reservations team, Desoto! Everyone hit a home run!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
KolinP_SotherlyHost, Sotherly Host at The DeSoto, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Hey mspecansandy,

Firstly, such a cute and appropriate name! Thank you so much for the perfect rating and review. Savannah is a popular place for weddings and The DeSoto throws some of the best! I am happy that everything went well for your visit with us. We all look forward to working with you more in the future for some beautiful Savannah events.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We had the pleasure of staying for several days at the DeSoto and were very pleased with every detail. Each of the staff members from porters and valets, to desk clerks and managers, were very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. This is a hotel in the heart and soul of Savannah, and so close to so many sights and sounds. We hope to stay here again the next time we're in Savannah.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
KolinP_SotherlyHost, Sotherly Host at The DeSoto, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Hey dalajon,

Thank you for such an awesome review! Several days in Savannah is really what it takes to see a lot of the great sites and get to the best restaurants. However, we want to make sure that your first minute at The DeSoto Savannah is full service and welcoming with that southern hospitality. I am so happy to see y'all had such a lovely time with us and took advantage of all the close by spots. We know we will see you soon!