“Great location, good prices, friendly service”

Spanky's Pizza Galley & Saloon
Ranked #118 of 937 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned and operated since 1976, Spankys serves up the worlds best chicken finger! The story goes like this, in 1976, a few friends wanted to start a restaurant on River Street in Savannah. Then, the booming River Street we know today was only a dirt road, with only a few spots for dining on the waterfront. Enter two innovative friends who cut up a few pieces of tender, white meat chicken, battered and fried them to perfection, and said to each other 'hey, son, lets call them chicken fingers!' And so Spanky's was born, and its still run by the same man and his family and loyal wonderful staff today! Come on down and dine on a piece of Savannah history with us--we're waitin' on ya!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were on vacation and decided to stop in for dinner. My favorite thing was their hushpuppies, I absolutely recommend you order them so flavorful and fresh. My little one wanted the pizza which I will say for non NY pizza it really was much better than I was expecting. They make it fresh, the crust and toppings were delish and the sauce wasn't too bad either. All in all, if you ordered a pizza there, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Spanky's Pizza Galley & Saloon, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you for dining with us and for letting us know about your visit ehcdiva! We hope you will stop in again the next time you are in Savannah!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We chose to eat at Spanky’s because of the previous good reviews. Our experience was not good.

We waited about 30 minutes to get a table, which is to be expected on River Street at 7:00. We were seated at the back corner behind the bar. Our waiter came promptly and took the drink order, then came back a few minutes later to get our food order....again, the norm. Then, things went bad.

Our waiter was also tending bar, and I think he just plain forgot about us. After about 45 minutes of waiting for our appetizer, he looked over and noticed us, and suddenly brought drink refills and took off to find our appetizer of queso. He brought that in about 15 minutes, then about 15 minutes later brought our food. He came by one more time during our visit with more tea. So, really crappy service!

As for the food - the queso was awful, just like melted velveeta cheese. Our chicken fingers were good, and the potatoes were good. The sauces were just grocery store bottled dressing as far as I could tell. I would bet my honey mustard was the Ken’s brand, which is good, but I was expecting something special. We ran out of ketchup, and more dipping sauce would have been nice, but there was no one to ask about it. When we finished, we sat another 15 minutes and finally flagged someone walking by and asked if we could we pay her. She apparently recognized our neglected situation and took off the cost of the cheese dip. Lesson learned here - We will never eat there again. We finally walked out of the restaurant at 10:00, aggravated and disappointed.

Thank you for taking the time to dine with us and submit your review k1986esl. Here at Spanky's River Street we take pride in making sure all of our customers have the best dining experience possible. I would like to discuss your experience with you further at your earliest convenience. Please contact me at kmurphy@liveoakrestaurants.com In the subject line please include the name of the restaurant you visited and the website you reviewed us on. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
Katie Murphy
Live Oak Restaurant Group

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here and I would highly recommended the place. The service is awesome. The food is fresh and tasty. The local draft is worth it. Very casual pub type of dinner. Comfortable and familiar.

Thanks for stopping in Reneta! We hope to see you again the next time you are on River Street!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stopped by River Street in Savannah on our way to Hilton Head. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Spanky’s. We highly recommend their chicken tenders and potato spuds.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I plus our son’s family of six took the trolley tour and got off at Stop 10 - River Street - so we could check out the area and have lunch. The kids (6, 12, 14 & 16) sadly aren’t into seafoods of any kind so they stuck with pizza and burgers but also tried the chicken fingers which they absolutely loved. Our son and I had the shrimp po’ boys which were wonderful. And my husband decided he’d try the phillie cheesesteak which he said was delicious. We all had the French fries which were great. We had an amazing server - Houdini - who was able to listen to our separate orders plus individual drinks without writing anything down - and bring them to us correctly. He has a great sense of humor and was fun to talk to.

I’d love to rate this restaurant 5 stars but to be honest it took an awfully long time for these orders. Plus they were not delivered all at once. First the pizza and chicken fingers. Then the po’ boys. A few minutes later the burgers. And finally the phillie cheesesteak when the kids with the chicken fingers were already done. But we’d still come back here. It’s a good menu, good food, convenient location next to the Shrimp Factory which is where the trolley stop is. But probably better with a small group.