“STAY AWAY!!”

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #56 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 November 2017

This is a strange situation. Upon registering for a room that I had reserved months earlier, the young man at the front desk welcomed me by saying that there was construction going on from 6am to 6pm Monday through Friday, and he would be happy to cancel my reservation if I had a problem with that. He went on to say that my room confirmation from Best Western alerted me to the situation. This was Veterans Day weekend and the city was pretty much sold out. We were there for a wedding and had no idea what this guy was talking about. With little choice, I took whatever room the guy assigned me. I immediately called Best Western corporate, they too had no idea what was going on at the hotel, as they were never informed. They said that the confirmation could not have informed us about the construction, as they didn't know about it. The Best Western Customer Service Rep had a difficult time hearing me on the phone due to the insane construction going on outside my door in the rear of the hotel. She called the hotel on my behalf since we were not alerted to the issue, leaving me on hold. When she came back to me, she too was puzzled as her call was interrupted due to "telephone problems" at that time. She promised to escalate the issue. I then returned to the front desk, demanded to see the General Manager/Owner and was told they were out of town through the next week. Convenient. The manager on duty came out, and all I can assume is that since Best Western corporate had called on my behalf before the "phone problems," she quickly switched our room to a room in front of the hotel. The noise problem was not an issue in the front. The hotel was pretty much as promised otherwise, BUT, being lied to and then strong armed makes this the worst lodging experience I have had in my 58 years. STAY AWAY. This hotel is simply not an honorable establishment. I want to point out that the construction was to a building behind the hotel, and the hotel was dealing with a serious issue that wasn't their doing, BUT, strong arming a traveler new to the city is NOT the way to deal with it. I have never before reviewed a hotel since my experiences have mostly been good, but this callous and deceitful way of dealing with an issue could not go unreported.

Room Tip: Stay in front of hotel
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,511)

Reviewed 26 November 2017

We were quoted a price by phone which was not honored at check in. Rather than waste more time trying to find another place, we stayed at the BW. We were basically called liars by the clerk when he was processing our check in. We will be very wary of BW in the future.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Had a great time in Savannah although the hotel was not the best here. There were no towels in the room, to open the door you'd depend on the mercy of the key card sensor who sporadically let us wait outside. Also, the toilet would not flush right.
Nevertheless, they have a cool concierge lady who gave us many great ideas to make our stay a great experience.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2017

Be warned that construction is going on at this location at the time of this writing (Nov 2017). However, we always had a parking spot. The breakfast choices are fantastic. Lots of fresh hot foods to eat in addition to standard breakfast fare of cereal, yogurt, etc. Very nice staff.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

There was hair in the bathroom floor, toilet seat and tub in our room. The staff seemed like they did not want to be there and if you asked them a question, it seemed like you were bothering them. We checked in in the evening and in the morning we were woken up by VERY loud construction noises that started at 6am. Our room was located right tenedor to them.