“High Tea in High Style”

Ranked #13 of 894 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Intimate, elegant and gracious, Gryphon is located at Bull and Charlton in the ornate 1926 Scottish Rite building. The alluring cafe menu offers signature favorites and fresh, seasonal offerings of rich, organic ingredients from local sources. Gryphon is the premier cafe of the Savannah College of Art and Design, and some SCAD students work in the cafe and carry on the renowned tradition of Savannah hospitality.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Ok. So, I’d seen some pictures of the Gryphon Tea Room online, but actually being there? Well, the pictures don’t do it true justice. Imagine being besties with Belle and the Beast, and being invited to have tea in the library...that’s the Gryphon! It is so classy with authentic mahogany wood panels, Tiffany-inspired lampshades and books galore!! I mean, old tomes with red and black binding! I had a great time locating my favorites on the shelves and were inspired to read a few new ones.

Now, to the food. It was WONDERFUL! I hade their tea tray. It’s $20, but I thought it was well-worth it, especially the mini deserts; the scones were amazing, too. The fruit was fresh. I had a wonderful tea, but I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t remember what it’s called. Trust your server’s (they’re very helpful and knowledgeable, by the way) recommendation and have fun figuring out how to open the honey! Also, because I was feeling glutinous, I order their ham quiche. Sigh. That’s it. Just, “sigh.” You’ll really like this place!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I stopped in last week, me for afternoon tea, him for lunch. The tea room is elegant, paneled with a high wallpapered ceiling with a stained glass & ornate chandelier with Tiffany-inspired glass shades centered in the room. The walls are lined with bookshelves and books; the floor is leopard carpet. I had the afternoon tea with Caribe tea (delicious/fruity), chicken salad & cucumber tea sandwiches, a cranberry scone with Devonshire cream & jam, a coconut macaroon, chocolate/orange cup, an apricot bar and one other sweet. The amount of food was perfect for one person and everything was delicious. My husband had the smoked salmon club sandwich which was huge and, he said, delicious. You are not rushed and with the tea and jazz playing, you want to linger, which we did. A great way to spend an afternoon. It does get busy around noon so a reservation might be a good idea.

1  Thank sc1009
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

From the beautifully appointed room and awesome stained glass, to the diverse menu and hearty portions, to the polite and attentive SCAD students who served, this place is a winner on all fronts. A lovely meal and experience.....highly recommend....

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I loved everything about this place. The food was excellent, they have a great selection of non-alcoholic cocktails, the staff (who are all students at SCAD) are all professional and sweet as can be, and it housed in a beautiful historic building. My only regret is that I didn't go back for afternoon tea.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had lunch. The service by Christopher was outstanding. The prosciuto sandwich was good but did not like the french potato salad. The espresso was good as well as the peach/blueberry cobler. Pricey. Nice ambience.