“Worth the time and money.”

Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours
Ranked #74 of 159 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Footprints of Savannah Walking Tour is a complete story of the institution of slavery in Savannah leading up to the American Civil War. Take a walk along the forgotten footpaths of Savannah where this business of human sale made its mark in the 1850s.This Footprints Tour focuses on the business of slavery, its brokers and their profits.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Ms. V has a tremendous amount of knowledge! This tour was a great way to learn more about slave history in Savannah. Definitely worth our time.

All reviews
"stories"
in 5 reviews
"information"

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Truly a perfect ending to our time in Savannah. Ms. Vaughnette is a wealth of knowledge and truly engaging. My children never pulled out their phones! They were actively listening! That’s an accomplishment in and of itself. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Savannah's relationship to slavery turns out to be a lot more complex than you might imagine. Walking around the oldest part of the city with Vaughnette Goode-Walker on her "Footprints of Savannah" tour, immerses a visitor into that history in a way that is not only informative but provocative and inspiring. Vaughnette's description, while we stand in Johnson Square, of the large "slave yard" that once stood just across the street, is profoundly moving. Don't miss this experience!

Reviewed 28 February 2018

On my recent trip to Savannah, I wanted to learn more about the city's history. I was particularly interested in learning about urban slavery and the contributions of enslaved and free persons of African descent. I discovered the "Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours" after I read the book _Slavery and Freedom in Savannah_ for which Vaughnette was a valuable resource.
Vaughnette is a talented tour guide. Her resume includes journalist, teacher, and writer! She begins in Wright Square with a solemn call to the ancestors and puts visitors in a genuine place for learning. She points out various important landmarks in the city connected to people such as Susie Baker King Taylor and Rev. Ulysses Houston, names I will now not forget. Her tour is unique in that she has a real passion for teaching visitors. Our group was small so she took the time to get to know us. As we made our way down to City Market & then River Street, various people waved to her and said hello or stopped to wish her well. She is well respected by her community and it shows. The tour was only a couple of hours but it transformed the way in which I look at the city. I caught myself the rest of the day looking at buildings for aspects she pointed out. I will most certainly take the tour again with my family upon my return to Savannah. I highly recommend "Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours" for an unforgettable learning experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Vaughnette was a wonderful tour guide, so personable and attentive to our questions. The tour is an important reminder of the black experience throughout Savannah's history. There's a lot of information and detail, but Vaughnette does a great job tailoring the information to what we wanted to get out of the tour. She is very connected to the city, its roots, and its stories (so much so that we could barely cross the street without a tour guide or trolley driver honking and waving, beaming a smile at her!). I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to learn about an often overlooked history.

2  Thank Jean-Robert A