Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours
Review Highlights
A special experience and way to see the city

In this tour you can see buildings allees, monuments and squares while interacting with them at... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
pam m
Rhinebeck, New York
via mobile
Excellent tour of Savannah’s history by a gifted story teller

Vaughnette is knowledgeable, personable, friendly, funny and thorough. We had a great time on her... read more

Reviewed 1 January 2019
brunocal
New York City, New York
via mobile

All reviews learning experience highly recommend her tour wright square educational tour city's history wealth of knowledge excellent tour river street goode ancestors teacher depth participants visitors lesson information stories
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Truly a perfect ending to our time in Savannah. Ms. Vaughnette is a wealth of knowledge and truly engaging. My children never pulled out their phones! They were actively listening! That’s an accomplishment in and of itself. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Savannah's relationship to slavery turns out to be a lot more complex than you might imagine. Walking around the oldest part of the city with Vaughnette Goode-Walker on her "Footprints of Savannah" tour, immerses a visitor into that history in a way that is not only informative but provocative and inspiring. Vaughnette's description, while we stand in Johnson Square, of the large "slave yard" that once stood just across the street, is profoundly moving. Don't miss this experience!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 28 February 2018

On my recent trip to Savannah, I wanted to learn more about the city's history. I was particularly interested in learning about urban slavery and the contributions of enslaved and free persons of African descent. I discovered the "Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours" after I read the book _Slavery and Freedom in Savannah_ for which Vaughnette was a valuable resource.
Vaughnette is a talented tour guide. Her resume includes journalist, teacher, and writer! She begins in Wright Square with a solemn call to the ancestors and puts visitors in a genuine place for learning. She points out various important landmarks in the city connected to people such as Susie Baker King Taylor and Rev. Ulysses Houston, names I will now not forget. Her tour is unique in that she has a real passion for teaching visitors. Our group was small so she took the time to get to know us. As we made our way down to City Market & then River Street, various people waved to her and said hello or stopped to wish her well. She is well respected by her community and it shows. The tour was only a couple of hours but it transformed the way in which I look at the city. I caught myself the rest of the day looking at buildings for aspects she pointed out. I will most certainly take the tour again with my family upon my return to Savannah. I highly recommend "Footprints of Savannah Walking Tours" for an unforgettable learning experience.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Vaughnette was a wonderful tour guide, so personable and attentive to our questions. The tour is an important reminder of the black experience throughout Savannah's history. There's a lot of information and detail, but Vaughnette does a great job tailoring the information to what we wanted to get out of the tour. She is very connected to the city, its roots, and its stories (so much so that we could barely cross the street without a tour guide or trolley driver honking and waving, beaming a smile at her!). I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to learn about an often overlooked history.

Date of experience: December 2017
2  Thank jeanrobert570
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

This tour, with Sister V, was absolutely amazing! She has a wealth of knowledge about the real history of Savannah. She began and ended the tour in a beautiful way (I won't spoil it for you!). She was thorough and captivating throughout the entire experience and she welcomed questions constantly. We started in Wright Square and ended the tour by the African American statue on River Street. You can't always find this type of information in a book so allow Sister V to share it with you. Must attend tour and priced well below its worth!

Date of experience: July 2017