“The Jenkins House - Elegant Southern Charm at its Best”

Armstrong Inns Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was frantically trying to find a nice vacation rental home/condo in the Historic District during one of Savannah's busiest times of the year...St. Patrick's Day Weekend. After visiting and calling numerous numbers with no luck, I stumbled across Armstrong's website and fell in love with the decor and charm of the Jenkins House. From the moment Monique answered the phone and told me the property was available, I knew staying here would be an unique experience of a life time for my entire family. The refrigerator was well stocked with orange, apple, and grapefruit juice, as well as milk. There was plenty of breakfast meats, eggs, fresh fruits, bagels, cheese, and jellies to satisfy my family of five. In addition to receiving a complimentary bottle of red wine, there was also a bottle of Sherry in the living room, which my husband and I sipped while enjoying one of the many free DVDs available to the guest.

There are so many other little small, yet thoughtful things, that impressed me as well. For example, although the website welcomes families, I never thought there would actually be activities within the home to keep the little ones busy. My one year old son played with a Teddy Bear that sat in a chair at an antiquated school desk. Inside the desk were a variety of books for coloring and reading. There were also antiquated wooden blocks. I loved the old-fashioned high chair that came in handy while our family gathered in the kitchen to enjoy breakfast. I was also impressed with the grand collection of poems in books written during the early 1800's. There were even National Geographic magazines dating back as early as 1961.

Upstairs were the two bedrooms, bathroom, and washer and dryer. Monique knew that I was traveling with two young girls and took the time to decorate one of the bedrooms in beautiful white lace draped over the canopy bed. The girls felt like princesses. I felt like a queen sleeping on top of my lush down feathered bed. Inside the gigantic bathroom was a shower enclosure with at least 7 different types of shower heads. The bathroom was well stocked with the Armstrong toiletries such as shampoo and conditioner. I was even impressed that fingernail polish remover was available for my nails. Little small things such as these and more were quite remarkable.

Before we left, (boo hoo hoo), my family was able to read past guest experiences and share our own in a special guest book. As the website states, this house is GREAT for families with young children. After tucking the children in their beds, parents can snuggle up in front of two fireplaces in the living room and enjoy the rest of the night.

I had no complaints and I'm quite sure, you will not either. Thank you Madame Monique and Monsieur Adam for a wonderful time in Savannah.

Lenora Stafford & Family
Miami, Florida

Room Tip: The master bedroom includes a large walk in closet. There are plenty of windows with plantation shut...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Ah, where to begin…during the first weekend of March girlfriends and I came to Savannah for our girls’ weekend get-away and our book club meeting and we stayed in the most perfect B&B that we could have ever found: the historic Tattnall House at Armstrong Inns. Having just read “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil,” known to locals simply as “the book,” it was so enchanting to be able to walk to the Jim William’s ornate mansion the Mercer House, the home of the author John Berendt, and several of the houses Joe Odom called “home” ;). We were also a few blocks away from the gorgeous Forsyth Park and surrounded on all sides by squares filled with fragrant azaleas. The beauty of the city of Savannah is truly breath-taking and staying at Tattnall house you will be right in the thick of it.
Savannah is considered the most haunted city in America, if not the world, and its ante-bellum architecture is seen throughout the historic district of the city. This is a rare gem since it was one of the few cities in the South lucky enough to escape being burned to the ground during the Civil War. With so many sights to see like these old Southern mansions, the cemeteries, the Telfair Art Museum, and various walking tours, we hardly had time to sit still, let alone watch television; though the Inn did provide two televisions, which was a nice surprise since most B&B’s don’t offer TV. And with so much to do in the beautiful city of Savannah, you would have to be insane to want to stay inside and watch HBO!
Our first night we arrived late and were greeted with our own house all to ourselves and a bottle of nice Shiraz; which is something only first-class travelers can appreciate! I love a good red, especially after a long day at the airport. The fridge was stocked with a delicious cheese plate, decadent chocolate cake, and the best grapefruit juice I have ever tasted-not too bitter and not too sweet! It was perfect, just like everything about our stay at the Tattnall House. I did not lift a finger or wash a dish the entire trip; it was a true vacation. Every day when we were out the housekeeping was like a friendly ghost that came and cleaned up after us: providing fresh linens, soft and luxurious white towels, and re-stocking all the goodies we ate in the kitchen. They also brought anything special we requested. The service was impeccable and for around $300 a night for your own house and being waited on hand and foot, you simply can’t beat that. I was so glad they left us a note letting us know it was okay to leave a gratuity for the housekeepers, because at some upscale places tipping is not even allowed. I was so grateful for their service and wish I could have brought them back to my house to clean! :)
THE BEDS! They were so amazing. I am not a morning person by any means, but woke up fairly early and well-rested every morning due to getting very deep sleep. It was also nice to read “the book” blocks away from where the actual events occurred. The only other thing to watch out for is parking, but a $7 parking pass can be acquired from the Inn and we only had to feed the meter for one day, in quarters by the way. If that is too expensive for you, you really should stay at a place that is more très bon marché. I cannot wait to return to Tattnall House for another glorious visit to Savannah and I hope to bring my significant other next time, since it is one of the most romantic places I have ever been. For any art aficionados out there William Armstrong’s paintings filled the house and were so beautiful, adding to the romance of the place. Thank you for a lovely stay. Merci to M. Monique and Kirsten, I look forward to staying with Armstrong Inns again in the lovely city of Savannah.

1  Thank Sarah_Deee
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Friends and I stayed at the Tattnall House for a long weekend in early March. I was extremely happy with the location, cleanliness, service, and atmosphere provided by Armstrong Inns.

The house was BEAUTIFUL! It was a quaint, clean, and lovely 18th century home - the perfect setting for a stay in historic Savannah. The pretty little courtyard with its flowers and ivy-covered walls and the gorgeous, well-stocked kitchen were my favorite parts of the house. The bedrooms were spacious and comfortable. I cannot rave enough about the feather-top beds and the satin sheets! They provided a truly luxurious sleeping experience.

Another aspect of our stay at the Tattnall House that I enjoyed was the location. We were in a picturesque neighborhood near the Mercer House and Forsyth Park, within walking distance of the bustling downtown area but at enough of a distance that our nights were quiet and peaceful. Parking in Savannah can be an adventure, but the spaces on our street was plentiful and because we stayed during the weekend we only needed to worry about feeding the meters on the first day we were there.

The service was extraordinary - Monique and Kirsten were constantly within reach and contacted us daily to ensure that we were enjoying our stay. The housekeeping staff was prompt and thorough. They ensured that our kitchen stayed stocked with tasty breakfast items and beverages. The entire staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. I would love to stay in one of their residences again.

I would recommend the Armstrong Inns residences to anyone traveling to Savannah! They provide the perfect home away from home while experiencing this beautiful, historic city.

3  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 7 March 2012

B&B's are always over-priced and not worth it in my opinion but this place did not even have a working television set. We also had to pay for parking, which we were not told about, and that didn't even guarantee us a parking spot outside the house. They even left us a note telling us to tip the staff $20! For almost $400 a night, I don't think that I should also have to tip anyone. My suggestion; save some money and stay at the Holiday Inn and buy yourself a cheap bottle of wine.

4  Thank Donna I
poirier, Owner at Armstrong Inns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Ms. Donna, Our goal is to make a difference and offer our guests a pleasant Savannah Living experience. Every guest is special to us.

The regular rates for the Tattnall House are $360/night + tax. Our records show that your group of 4 ladies was charged a total of $288/night + tax for the entire house, including our 20% seasonal discount. We sold your group a $7 City parking pass valid in front of parking meters throughout the Historic District, including River Street, and City parking garages and the meter in front of your door.

Gratuities are left at the discretion of the guests. Some leave nothing, some leave $20 or more, others leave $100 or more. We suggest $20 gratuities for those who would inquire.

At the time you were staying at the Tattnall house, there was 2 working TV sets purchased prior to the appearance of flat screen TVs. As I recall, both TVs were working fine. Only the DVD player was not performing. The remote was misplaced and could not be found, unfortunately. We replaced the older TV set with a new flat screen TV including a built in DVD player.

Our rates listed above include the following: Free WIFI. Prior to the arrival of the guests, we deliver to the Tattnall House a complimentary bottle of wine, cheese and refreshments. Our extended full breakfast items, pastries and other temptations are delivered daily by our staff and stocked in our guest's own personal kitchen. Our rates also include daily housekeeping of kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, private courtyard. and daily replenishment of votives, candles, Sherry.

Best wishes.

Monique

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We spent one night March 2, 2011 at the Carriage House. It was too short but oh so sweet.

We were welcomed to the Carriage House with a lovely bottle of red wine and lots of baked goodies, and a fruit plate. The Sherry is a lovely touch as I have never had it before it was a nice treat before supper. We ate chocolate cake for breakfast for indulgent but it felt so right.

Beautifully decorated with original paintings by William Armstrong. Two gas fireplaces that I thought we "real" wood burning fireplaces. The feather bed is amazing!!!! We slept with the windows open and the shutters closed for a true southern experience.

We spent the latter part of the evening out in the garden enjoying the warm night and the candle light.The lemon tree out in the garden is fabulous, Monique said she even has put mittens on them lemons to keep them from freezing. Now that I would have loved to have seen. I loved reading the guest books that other guests had written their stories in, nice touch.

The staff are lovely and knowledgeable about the restaurants and bars. Monique is a beautiful person on the inside as well outside.

We highly recommend the horse and carriage ride, Dee is the name of the owner, that picked us up and dropped us off outside of our door.

The Mansion is a wonderful place for drinks and the Six Pence Pub is a great place to grab a bite to eat.
Loved the place, so sad we only had one night in Savannah but we did make the most of it!!!
Merci Monique et William!

Room Tip: The carriage house is beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business