“Value, Convenience, and Courtesy with a Touch of Kitsch”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 June 2017

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the reviews. Like most Tripadvisors, I generally jump to the one-stars first then browse the five-stars. In the case of The Thunderbird Inn, the one-stars generally seem to be people expecting a five-star experience on a two-star budget.

Frankly, if you are looking for luxury or high living, The Thunderbird Inn ain't for you! If, however, you are looking for a clean, comfortable, and affordable hotel within easy walking, Uber, or Trolley distance of all Savannah has to offer - This is it! If you want a courteous and friendly staff who will bend over backwards to help you - This is it! If you want a bit of 1960's kitsch and color to brighten your stay - This is it!

First the positives: Our room was small and compact, but comfortable. It was clean and well maintained - although our door hinges could have used a hit of WD-40 - but, we just considered the loud squeak to be classic '60s kitsch. We had a King bed that was very comfortable with a good selection of pillow types. Our AC was easy to adjust and worked flawlessly with a fairly quiet fan. We had more than enough outlets for our electronics and the outlets were all located in very convenient spots. WiFi reception was excellent and easy to log onto. Our TV worked perfectly with a sanitized TV remote (Nice Touch!). There was a COLD fridge for storing water and other consumables. Water pressure and temps were excellent! Parking was available right in front of our room making load in and out a cinch. I'm on a sugar-free diet, but I still appreciated the thought behind the complimentary two RC Colas and Moon Pie left for us by the staff.

What might be considered negatives: There was some road noise, but it wasn't overwhelming and it certainly didn't keep me from sleeping soundly after a busy day of exploring Savannah. The metro bus hub is right across the street - my old cop spider senses were tingling as we pulled into the Inn - homeless? Panhandlers? But, I saw nothing of the sort during our stay. Cop senses - Stand at Ease! The bathtub tile grout showed a bit of discoloration that some might take for mold - The hotel was built in 1964 - no mold, just reasonable age. We paid an additional $10 to park in the lot - and frankly I'm okay with that - driving back from a late night ghost walk, there was one parking slot open. I understand that the fee guarantees you a space and provides lot security. That's worth $10 in my book. Our one chief complaint was the lack of a closet or bar to hang our clothes. We got over it and moved on.

Considering the negatives, I started to give the Inn four stars - but, well, this was a birthday trip planned by my wife to celebrate my 64th birthday. When we walked into the room, there was an envelope stuck between our Moon Pie and RC Colas. The envelope contained a hand-written and decorated birthday card signed by the entire staff. I've traveled the world and have had some truly wonderful experiences, but this was one of the most personal and kind things any hotel staff has ever done for me. For that added kindness and attention to detail - Five Stars! Thank you, Thunderbird Inn Friends!

in closing, you won't find 5-star luxury at The Thunderbird Inn. You will find a friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms, convenient parking, basic amenities (including a hair dryer and coffee pot), a NICE selection of locally brewed beers, a Krispy Kreme and coffee breakfast (Curse you, Sugar Free Diet!), and all of Savannah stretched out before you in all her leg-stretching glory! We enjoyed our stay! Thank you!

Room Tip: If you have a concern or a problem with your room, don't sit and stew over it - reach out to the...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SkipsterNC
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Very cute retro motel. Not too many rooms and setup like an older 50s or 60s motel. They even have RC cola in the room. It was pretty reasonable compared to many other places we normally stay. Serve Krispy Kreme donuts in the lobby for breakfast and always have freshly popped popcorn and lemonade. Super cute place!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2017

Excellent retro. motel. Room was large, clean and tastefully decorated in a retro. theme along with modern updates such as an excellent large screen TV & wi-fi. Bed was very comfortable. Unlike most hotels, the trash cans provided were large. Given proximity to a busy street, we were concerned about traffic noise but only noticed it if a large truck or motorcycle was passing by . Excellent night's sleep. You can't go wrong with the excellent coffee and variety of fresh Krispy Kream donuts in the mornings.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 June 2017

The room was an ideal combination of a living room and a bedroom. Enjoyable and recommended. The manager (Jim) was welcoming and kind. The staff was great. The bed was comfortable. The city within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

This was our first time in Savannah. I thought, lets have a really unique experience while staying there. So, I booked this quant retro motel to give my adult children a blast from the past! They loved it just as much as we did! Staff was exceptional. Friendly and accommodating. Loved the coffee pot in the room. RC cola and Moon Pies! Yummy Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee in the am. 50s 60s music piped through parking lot speakers. Speaking of parking lot, I was stunned and disappointed with the fact that we had to pay for parking on their grounds! $10.00! Never heard of such a thing! Should be included with your stay! It was within walking distance of downtown and the river. Pet friendly. Rooms were very clean. All in all a wonderful experience.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family