“The epitome of Southern comfort food!”

Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room
Ranked #5 of 939 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room is the epitome of comfort food: fried chicken, beef stew, barbecued beef, rutabagas, collard greens, okra, candied yams, squash, red rice and sausage, cabbage, cornbread dressing, hot biscuits, corn muffins, green beans, black eyed peas, and banana pudding or peach a la mode for dessert. All served with tea so sweet, my wife and I cut it with water. The food by far was the best meal I've had in my mini vacation so far. All you can eat served family style, and I'm sure I've forgotten some of the dishes they served.

The service was fantastic, refilling empty glasses and dishes without being asked, all with a welcoming, friendly demeanor. The prices were very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the food. We’ll certainly be returning on our next trip to Savannah.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,520)

Reviewed 13 December 2017

You are seated approximately 10 to a table and if you don't have 10 be prepared to make new friends. All the food was served family style with about 10 different sides (creamed corn, collard greens, black eyed peas, rutabagas, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc.....) Main dishes included fried chicken, pulled pork and a beef dish. Suffice it to say you won't leave hungry as you can ask for more of anything. Oh and it comes with dessert.

But remember they currently only take cash!

1  Thank Laurence S
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

We visited this establishment on a Tuesday in December. We got on line at about 11:11am. There is plenty of street parking but make sure you bring quarters for the meters. We waited less than 15 minutes. We were seated with three other couples. Part of the experience was meeting everyone. Our table represented Tampa, Texas, Chicago and Buffalo! The food was waiting when we were seated as well as a glass of sweet tea for each person. There were 22 side dishes in addition to the chicken! Just to name a few: Mac and cheese, collard greens, corn bread, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cole slaw, corn, mashed potatoes, etc. Everything was excellent! I loved the fried chicken! Plenty of food served family style. You can also have water or unsweetened tea. Dessert was banana pudding or peach alla mode. Highly recommend this restaurant! $22 cash only per person. We will definitely be going back next time we are in Savannah!

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Went on Black Friday. Had to wait 2-1/2 hours to get in. Weather was OK and plenty to talk about with strangers before you get in.
I had guests from out of town so it was the tourist thing to do. The food was good but not great. For $22/head CASH you cant go wrong. Great Value for money. The service was excellent. The downside was the waiting time.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

OMG! Those biscuits!!!! Melt in your mouth! It’s a thanksgiving-day style layout, everything I tried I enjoyed except the cucumbers... I think it’d be an acquired taste. We arrived at 10:30am on a Friday, we got first seating. So they allow a group of guests to go in at a time. Next group waits outside until the group before leaves. That day there was a total of three full groups when the restaurant opened. Meaning two groups had to wait.... there are four tables downstairs that can accommodate approximately 10-each and an unknown amount of tables upstairs (we didn’t go upstairs). So bottom line is get there early enough.... they’re only open for lunch from 11-2pm. But definitely WORTH the experience!