“Through drips, drizzles and downpours the tour must go through :-)”

Grits & Magnolias Walking Tours
Ranked #54 of 159 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: I'm a native of Savannah with a genuine love for this beautiful historic city and I enjoy nothing more than to share that with visitors. I consider myself a well-studied amateur historian of the South in general and of Savannah in particular and I know the city's history and current scene intimately and deeply. Come take a leisurely stroll with me. We'll wander through the squares, streets, and boulevards of this charming city as I narrate not only local history but the dramatic personal stories of the people who founded and built the city, fought and survived the wars, and preserved it for us to enjoy today.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

For our three night March stay in Savannah we experienced a wide variety of weather, from sunny sixties to rainy fifties and wouldn't you know we had scheduled our walking tour the morning the sky looked as if it were auditioning for "Singing in the Rain." Nevertheless, our guide, Cecil, with the appropriate last name of Waters, was willing and able to take a couple of foolish Yankees on a walking tour of his lovely city. Having done this for the past thirty-six years he really knows his stuff and is a font of historical and cultural trivia. Our ninety minute general tour expanded into two hours as Cecil regaled us with anecdotes about the founding of the city, the Revolutionary War era, the Civil War era, the roaring Twenties, and, of course, the City's role in the best seller Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, as well as in the film of the same name, and the movies Glory and Forest Gump. From architecture to restaurants he had interesting chronicles to tell and recommendations to make. We highly recommend.

All reviews
"stories"
in 7 reviews
"founding"

Reviewed 25 December 2017

Cecil was a terrific tour guide, who entertained our family, which ranged in age from 10 years old to 78 years old. It was super interesting, the perfect amount of time, and the attention he gave our 10 year old daughter was really sweet. I'd definitely recommend this tour to anyone interested in Savannah's role in the Civil War!

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I brought our dog on this walking tour. Cecil has a wealth of knowledge and great insight into local historic detail-not boring at all! We enjoyed the easy stroll discovering Savannah’s history, architecture and movie sites in 1.5 hours. $17 tour for us today!

2  Thank lsuhomske
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Cecil was ever so knowledgable, sharing his vast knowledge of Savannah history and relating anecdotes with charm and humour. We would recommend!

2  Thank Sam H