“Tells the Civil Rights Story Well”

Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum Inc.
Ranked #42 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum captures the Civil Rights Movement in Savannah. See a Timeline of Civil Rights History that begins in 1865. Read the story of the Father of modern Civil Rights movement in Savannah, Reverend Dr. Ralph Mark Gilbert who reorganized the local chapter of the NAACP in the 1940s segregated South. His successor Westley Wallace Law led the Civil Rights Movement, in Savannah, through the turbulent 1960s with nonviolent protests that resulted in the downtown businesses in the city of Savannah being desegregated by 1963. Visitors to the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum also experience a "church theatre" which symbolizes the church organization and NAACP working in tandem to make the Savannah Civil Right movement a success. In the theatre guests watch a video that is a window into that history from the men and women who were on the front lines of Savannah's Civil Rights Movement.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We have been to this museum and found its exhibits dated, but they do represent the civil rights era in Savannah. It is certainly worth seeing this historic event documented and illustrated. It is a part of our history and tells the story.

There are newer reviews for Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum Inc.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

I really enjoyed all parts of the tour, but this was my favorite. I only wished the gift shop would have been open and that I would have had more time to enjoy the museum. We sat and watched a video for 10-15 minutes and I would have much rather spent my time touring the museum.

1  Thank Sassiz1
Reviewed 21 October 2011

The museum is informative and well-organized. There were three people of varying ages in my group and we all learned something. Too bad the shuttles and trolleys don't go here, although it's only about a mile from downtown and the historic district.

1  Thank 2kMOM
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The museum is located a bit away from the main attractions and is not included in the trolley tours which is a shame. It is well worth a visit as you get a flavour of the past.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I visited Savannah for Labor Day weekend, and one of the first places we visited was the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum. We made an excellent choice. The museum was one of the best and most unique I've ever visited.

This isn't your average museum with artifacts hidden in glass cases. The museum is interactive. You follow a sort of "path" through three floors, where you learn about U.S. African-American history from the time of slavery until present day. There are screens where you can watch poignant moments from the civil rights movement (i.e. Lyndon B. Johnson's speech to Congress). There is a room of original photographs from the 1960s, some of which feature Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There are even theater-type rooms that feature videos about the local civil rights movement in Savannah. The exhibits are geared toward any age, so children as well as adults will find the museum enjoyable.

The tickets are $8 each for adults. We were there for over an hour, and it was worth every minute. The employees were very friendly and helpful, and made us feel genuinely welcome. There are stairs as well as an elevator for easy accessibility to each floor. As a side note, I was impressed that the museum featured a dedication to non-African-Americans who were also instrumental in the civil rights movement. I am not African-American, and I felt like this museum took the time to honor everyone who works (or has worked) to improve the lives of African-Americans throughout the country.

3  Thank thestallons