“Would not stay here again”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz Savannah

Andaz Savannah
Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Seattle, Washington
“Would not stay here again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Please understand that this review is from the perspective of someone who had never been to Savannah, and did a lot of research when trying to decide where to stay. We chose the Avia based on all the fantastic reviews and consistent mentions about the great location. This was the first leg of a three city tour on our honeymoon, so my review is based on trying to help others who are unfamiliar with the area and the hotel. We were fortunate to get a great deal on a one bedroom suite and the room was very nice. The bed was comfortable, and the claw foot tub was great. It was nice to have a kitchenette, but there were no utensils, no wine opener, and very few other supplies. The first room we were placed in faced the construction so on our first morning we were awoke by jack hammering…upon insistence, we were moved to another suite, so be sure and ask for a room away from the construction. Our second room had consistent wear from chipped paint, missing tiles, uneven crown molding, etc, so it made the room appear a bit cheap and sloppy, but it did not ruin our experience any, just a minor note.
My first major issue was with the manager, who gave false information when it came to parking. During my research on Savannah, I found that you could purchase a visitor pass for $12 for 48 hours that would allow you to park in the garage below the Avia, thus saving you a bunch of money over the valet fee of $20 per day. When I asked the manager about this, he acted as if he had never heard of such a thing and said that even with the visitor pass, we would likely be charged every time we took our car in and out of the garage, thus in his opinion, It would be better to do valet. The next day I went to the visitor center and found this was untrue and the parking pass allowed in and out privileges…so we purchased these for the next three days and saved ourselves a lot of money…wish we had done this the first day. As a manager of a hotel in a tourist area, he should be familiar with basic information like this… and he came off as deceitful. The parking garage is right below the hotel and is very convenient.
My biggest complaint, and this is no fault of the hotel, was the location. True enough, the Avia is close to a lot of shopping and some great restaurants, but we are more into the historic areas and off the beaten path eateries. We found ourselves always walking south and east to get to all the museums, historic homes, visitor center, etc. Forsyth Park was about a mile south of the hotel-just to give you some perspective. If you like River Street, this location may be better for you, but we went to River Street once, and that was enough for us. In general, if I had it to do over, we would have stayed in the heart of the historic district as opposed to the outskirt where the Avia is. There are some great bed and breakfasts literally next door to some amazing historic homes and museums…so perhaps on our next visit, we will stay in one of them. Save yourself some money and stay in a more authentic inn or home and get breakfast included :-) Good luck and I hope this gives another perspective.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank spindalis
Pedro P, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with us during your recent stay in Savannah.

I would like to sincerely apologize to you for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I am very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer about the missing utensils and the wear and tear in your room.

We were not aware that the city parking services were offering discounted parking. I will speak with the city parking services to find out the discount programs they are offering. We would never try to deceive our guests. I apologize if that is the way it came across.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and ask that you contact me at 912-233-2116.

Thank you for your comments; I look forward to speaking with you.

Kind Regards,

Pedro Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Brisbane, Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is a great Hotel to stay in. The friendly staff can't do enough for you and are genuinely excited about you visiting their city.
The rooms are modern, very comfortable and very well appointed. The outdoor fire-pit is great to have a drink by even on a very cold night. The bar serves wonderful cocktails and food - breakfast is a relaxed and easy going meal and nothing is too much trouble. As I can't have cow or soy milk, they brought in rice milk for me which was most appreciated.
The location in the historic downtown area is perfect - everything is within walking distance. The river walk is across the road with lots of varied shops and market places. Savannah is such a delightful town with beautiful garden squares every few blocks. So much to see from the famous Forrest Gump park bench to the French inspired Forsyth Fountain created in 1858 to Haunted house tours.
A tour around the city on a Segway is a must. So much fun, very safe and the guide is a fountain of knowledge.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 4bearsie
Sharon B, Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I will certainly pass along your kind comments regarding our friendly staff. We are very proud of our entire team here at the AVIA. We certainly hope that you will visit us again if you ever return to our beautiful city.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Everything about this hotel was ideal. The location is perfect. There are really great restaurants within a block from here. We ate at Alligator Soul and Belford's, both were amazing. There was live music right out front by the square all weekend. The hotel itself is beautiful and modern. The beds are comfy. The pool terrace is tranquil. Service was great. We enjoyed the free cookies in the lobby too. We will definitely stay here again on all future trips to Savannah.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank memill-OD
Sharon B, Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for your warm and positive comments about the AVIA Savannah. We appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Avia is the perfect place to stay if you like clean, newer, modern eclectic hotels. It was located near everything and the small staff was very helpful-even the chef stepped in to help us!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank NiciEatz
Sharon B, Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Greetings from the AVIA. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Start off to say the Avia/Savannah was probably one of the best experiences I've had in a long time but it wasn't without problems. Stayed over Feb 17-19 and planned the trip with another couple back in Dec. Reservations were made New Year's Eve for two King Suites close by and when we arrived we ever given exactly what we asked for right across from each other (RM 537/536). The check-in was great and everyone was friendly and inviting.

Now I understand that the following may not have been able to be helped by the hotel. At about 5 am we heard someone fiddling with our door and soon after the person was really trying to gain entry to our room. I jumped out of bed and ran over to the peep hole to see what was going on only to see an obviously drunk man trying to use his key to open our door. I grabbed the phone and called the front desk and went back to see what he was doing and found him urinating on the room across the hall room 536. I described the actions to the front desk and they apologized for the inconvenience and I was told that security would be headed up right away. I'm not really certain what happened to the drunk but soon after the start the situation was contained. The next morning we were up an at em at around 9:30 and there was still a urine stained spot on the floor right in front of our party's room and as we left we explained the situation to the front desk and was told they were unaware of what happened and would send up someone to clean up right away. I would think that a hotel like the Avia would:

1. Have a better way of monitoring activity in the hallways.
2. Have a better way of passing information between shifts
3. Check with the guest after an incident to make sure everything was fine.

The hotel has a great location (5min from Paula Dean, City Market and River Street); great amenities (Gym, Pool, views) and a spectacular breakfast buffet. The breakfast time was a little busy and it was hard to keep my coffee filled. The shrimp grits is as described in other reviews, fantastic.

My only other complaint was parking. The garage we parked at is at a public garage which appeared safe. As we paid our parking fee the attendant asked if we had a Savannah Visitor Pass. She then explained that if I were to have stopped by the welcome center I could have gotten a visitor's pass and would have been only charged $12 for our two day stay. She then explained that normally the hotels around town explains this to their guest at check-in. We weren't told and the total price for parking was over $30....not a whole lot but still could have been told.

Despite the things that happened I still enjoyed the hotel, location, food (hotel/local), the experience and Savannah but the Avia will always be the four diamond hotel in downtown historic Savannah where someone pissed on my door.

Room Tip: Rooms 536/537 are King Suite corner rooms.