“ Fun loving spot for the mateys! ”
Review of The Pirates' House

The Pirates' House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pirates' House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 914 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bay St.
Description: The entire family is sure to enjoy Savannah's most intriguing & historic restaurant. At the Pirates' House, our most precious treasure is the food. Situated in Trustees Garden, merely a scant block from the Savannah River, the Famous Pirates' House is the most historic spot in Georgia. The Herb House, erected in 1734, located inside the Pirates' House, is said to be the oldest house in Georgia. The Pirates' House first opened in 1753 as an inn for seafarers and fast became a meeting point for blood-thirsty pirates & sailors. Enthusiastically recommended by AAA, Food & Wine and Redbook.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Interesting restaurant in Savannah. Lots of history to be seen and heard. We were seated in what felt like the tour thoroughfare. Food and service ( thank you Margo) were terrific!
Ask to be seated in an out-of-the-way spot or be prepared to yell your way through dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,838)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

First off, as I do on most reviews I will let you know if they are Celiac Friendly. They are indeed. There are lots of options on their menu. It was a neat place to have dinner and I love the history behind it but it definitely was not worth the cost of the dinner. We had the shrimp butter and garlic appetizer which was okay and I had the shrimp creole. It was supposed to come with red rice but maybe they don’t do it anymore for some reason or another that has to do with gluten. It had a good flavor but there really was not any sausage in that all. Very disappointing. My husband had the fried chicken which he said was very good but he also agreed that it was not worth the price. I won’t go back if I’m town again but wouldn’t necessarily deter someone from going.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Great food but we sat in overflow area so atmosphere was lacking and the price was very high for the food we received.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I know people rave about this place but perhaps because it's touristy. The trolleys stop here and drop people off all day long. I know because we live in the house next door! We ate here last night as a last resort and yes, some things are tasty but not everything is worth the price. The biscuits are delicious, the corn bread is standard. And the famous fried chicken is very very sweet and mostly crusty. If that is your thing, great, you will love this. Its all opinion so please go form your own. If you don't want to eat buffet you should make a reservation and go for dinner. It's way better and better quality. There will be no line and you'll be much happier. I think kids get a kick out of the whole pirate thing and that's great but it won't be fancy so get over it now. It's not for everyone. All you need to do is take a look at the clientele

1  Thank travellp4
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

My daughter and grandchildren visited Savannah recently and the Pirates house was number one on their list to visit, and they were not disappointed. We did not have reservations so there was about a 45 minute wait. They have a large gift shop to browse through while we were waiting, so time seemed to move along quickly. Once seated we adults chose to feast on the large buffet that was offered. Kids ordered off the menus. The buffet was excellent. Southern food at its finest, with many selections to choose from. The children were happy with their meals of chicken fingers. After completing this great meal we were offered a tour of the Pirates’ House by a very knowledgeable Pirate Guide which recited all the history and fables from the past. All of us had a wonderful experience I would definitely return to this awesome restaurant again.