“Exercise, sightseeing and bringing U.S. history to life”

Light Street Cycles
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a full-service bicycle store that includes bicycle rentals, bike trailer rentals, electric bike rentals, and guided bicycle/electric bicycle tours. Choose from our scheduled tours or request a customized tour!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Trevor was a great guide, and what a fun couple of hours touring neighborhoods, seeing unique Baltimore landmarks and stopping the bike and taking in the view at Fort McHenry. That is the birthplace of our Star Spangled Banner, and seeing and hearing the story made so much more sense than my elementary education of memorizing dates. This is the alley way of Lady Day Way, a tribute to where Billie Holiday lived in Baltimore. Loved learning all the little things that make a place, like painted window screens and how 'alright' is what is common for people to say when you ask how they are. Recommend this if you want to get your bearings and see what peaks your interest to explore more...of if you are short on time, you get a good feel for Baltimore.

All reviews
"few hours"
"penny"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 23 February 2018

My husband and two grown-up sons had only one day in Baltimore, but were able to cover everything from the top of Federal Hill to Fort McHenry to City Hall and the beautiful harborfront. The bikes were comfortable, our guide Penny was funny and smart and full of great stories, and we just had a blast. We learned more about the history and character of Baltimore than we could ever have expected, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Loved Penny, loved this tour, loved the city. (We were all fans of David Simon's The Wire, too, so our tour included sites from the show as well.) We recommend this company to anyone who likes to see a place close up with someone who really knows her city and enjoys sharing it with others.

Penny T, Owner at Light Street Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Thanks so much, Margo. You know, I might have had more fun giving the tour than you had taking the tour. I LOVED talking about scenes from The Wire and it was a joy getting to know your family. I hope you had a nice lunch and museum visit afterwards as well. There is SO MUCH to enjoy in Baltimore City and I want visitors to discover its gems.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I was in town for a conference and wanted to rent a road bike for a day. Light Street Cycles was the closest shop to Inner Harbor area. That was convenient for me. However, I was lucky to have chosen LSC as the staff were fantastic in addressing my bike needs as well as finding me the right riplaces to ride. And what a bike it was, a beautiful (and new!) Masi. But it didn't stop there -- Penny was a delight to speak with and made excellent suggestions after I mentioned where I thought I wanted to ride. I was able to refine a route and had a fantastic ride in the area. She and the staff are obviously expert in cycling the area and have lots of suggestions for places to sightsee and to refuel!

LSC is downtown and Penny pointed me to what I think is the best route to get north of town -- the Maryland Avenue Cycletrack IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST WAY TO TRANSIT the city! This dedicated two-way bike lane is separated from main auto traffic, which makes a huge difference when cycling through tight streets. KUDOS to the city of Baltimore for implementing this important and safe bike path. The path runs between the Baltimore Convention Center and the Johns Hopkins University campus. From there, you can select from many directions, many of which have ample shoulders or even dedicated marked bike lanes.

My guess is that LSC's bike tours would be great if you're looking for more of a group sightseeing activity by bike.

1  Thank mfox84047
Penny T, Owner at Light Street Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Thanks for that fantastic review! I especially loved your bit about the Maryland Ave Cycletrack. I forwarded on to be shown to the City's administration so that they can see how important bicycle infrastructure is to tourism. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

My husband and I just moved to Baltimore and thought that a bike tour would be a fun way to get to know the city. We took the Waterfront tour with Penny on Sunday and we had such a great time. It is great to see the city this way and Penny is very knowledgeable about the city and fun to be with. The bonus was the farmer's market at the end of the tour. We'll be back for more!

1  Thank lindalewis47