“Great seafood and pasta !”
Review of La Tavola

La Tavola
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tavola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,387 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: USD 12 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Description: Authentic Venetian style Italian cooking featuring local produce as well as being one of the only restaurants in little Italy that can say that 100% of our pasta is home-made fresh in house, which includes gluten-free and vegan pasta which allows us to accommodate any dietary restrictions upon request.
Reviewed 18 May 2018

We wanted a great Italian meal and we sure got one! We started with the bruschetta which was on a great soft and tasty homemade garlic bread. While I like more garlic in my bruschetta, this was certainly fresh, simple and tasty. I'm so sick of the bland tomatoes that are in my local grocery store, I wasn't expecting too much from them - but their tomatoes were super tasty it was nearly foreign to me. I had the Romana salad (Caesar) and it was good but not great - as it was a little bland for my tastes - I like more garlic and anchovy but that's maybe just me. We also tried the parmigiana di Melanzane (eggplant) and it was excellent. Eggplant with baked cheese and theirs was great! Worth getting.

The server was super well informed and so nice - we were between 3 dishes for the 2 of us and he suggested we get 3 half-servings of each - which we did and boy, what a great meal ! We tried the Scoglio which was the winner in my book - it was SO excellent! The mussels, clams, shrimp and sea scallops in there were expertly cooked, super fresh, so tasty - wow! We also had the Spaghetti Neri, the most popular dish but the pasta was a tad hard for my taste but still good. The crab in it was very tasty with mix of spinach and tomatoes - I wouldn't have thought it would make a good pairing - but it was great. We also had the Teccio alla Veneziana which had all the same major seafood as the Scoglio and it was excellent, too with a great broth for dipping more of that homemade garlic bread, yum! I just love their pasta so I'd still suggest the Scoglio as I like spicy tomato sauce and as I said, their pasta was excellent - it was just so good, I wanted to eat more than my stomach could hold. I didn't get to try the lasagna this time but I will the next, unless I get the capellini or the gnocchi which also looked great! Find your way here, it's well worth it!

Dave O, General Manager at La Tavola, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

Love reading reviews like this! Glad you tried the half sizes to knock out the seafood portion of the list so next time you can try more new dishes!

Reviewed 17 May 2018

After reading the amazing reviews, we decided to come on Mother's Day weekend. The food was incredible. It is easy to see why La Tavola is rated the best Italian Restaurant in Baltimore. The chef's homemade pasta was the best we had ever had. Our favorite was the Spaghetti Neri with a generous portion of jumbo lump crab meat. We would love to give 5 stars but our server Morgan (that was the name of the check) was absent. We only saw her when she took our order and when we paid the bill. It was clear that she did not want to be there. Luckily the rest of the staff was very attentive. The host was friendly when he brought us to the table. He told us about the Chef's background and love for fishing. The young lady who brought the delicious homemade bread was very sweet. She suggested a touch of balsamic to go with the olive oil. The gentleman who served all of our dishes was very personable. The overall experience was wonderful and look forward to coming back.

Leah,

We look forward for you to come back and give us a shot at that 5th star! Sorry to hear that you did not get attentive service - while on a busy weekend it is certainly a team effort between servers and hosts and food runners and server assistants, your server should certainly be checking on you more often during the course of the evening. Morgan is usually one of my more engaging servers as well, so I am confident on your next visit the service will match the food.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Each year on Mother's Day weekend my family ventures to Baltimore from DC to attend an Orioles game. We always have dinner the night before the game at La Tavola. This restaurant serves the best Italian food I've ever had!!! The homemade pasta and desserts are beyond words. The prices are quite reasonable and the seating is spacious.

The wait staff is exceptional -- offering advice and providing backgrounds on the way the meal was prepared.

I would highly recommend this restaurant.

We certainly appreciate that you make a journey here each year to spend some time with us - but the O's play 82 games here a year! How about making it bi-annual?

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Arrived in Baltimore at 6.30 checked into hotel and looked on trip advisor for restaurants near. This popped up . Had a great meal one of the best whilst visiting the USA.

Colin,

Glad you enjoyed! I was over in the UK while you were here, maybe you can give me some recommendations for my next trip

Reviewed 13 May 2018

La Tavola is hands down by by absolute best ! All the menu we three tried and the dessert is out of this world. Frankly, not greasy, never salty, clean, crisp & fine dining at its best! I have never been to Italy but now I felt like I just did. The menus obviously just artistically crafted. This is a keeper for life authentic home cooking. Me and my husband felt like we were @ grandma's kitchen table.
We actually just stumbled in this restaurant because our fave Italian place (just small mom/pop resto) closed out we've came to town 3x ! travelled 1 hour one way & still closed this time the sign shows closed & it looked abandoned. We thought there's no reason to visit Baltimore. Then out of the blue we just walked in the nearest parking spot and walked in random food place : ) What a good find !!
The owner/chef came out & warmly introduced himself just a homey gesture warms your heart. Def a place to keep coming back beyond any doubt. Can't wait to taste the seafood menus since the chef loves fishing ;) betcha just freshest catch to serve

Thank you so much for the kind words. We will have a table for you any time you'd like

Been to La Tavola? Share your experiences!