“More than I expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“More than I expected”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I tend to believe that most chain hotels are fairly standard and interchangeable. But I found this Marriott much nicer than expected. My room was lovely but what impressed me was the shower. There was WATER PRESSURE. I was in heaven.

Also, the people at the bar, restaurant, take-away restaurant, front desk - heck; everyone was super nice and accommodating.

I was there for a conference and paid the conference rate for the room. I did notice that the regular price for the hotel is out of my normal price range - maybe that's why I think it's so nice; I'm not used to it :) But I would recommend it anyway.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TessM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Nice clean rooms with very elegant appointments. Wonderful view and on-site dining. Very accommodating and knowledgeable concierge. The rest of the staff is questionable. We asked for a razor (my wife forget hers and we were preparing to go to a wedding) and once a maid brought up a pillow and we had to call the desk three more times to get it. Not our usual place to stay. A bit out of our price range and we got the wedding deal... would have expected a little more for what we paid but we were in the same hotel as the reception, which was convenient.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is a nice hotel with a great location on Baltimore's Inner Harbour. It's a close walk to restaurants such as Phillips Seafood and the Ruth Chris Steakhouse as well as near to a Charm City Circulator bus (free!) and the Metro line. It's easy to find and well situated in the centre of Baltimore so you can strike out in any direction to explore. The historic Fell's Point neighbourhood is about 2 miles east and worth a visit but don't walk there as you have to go through a dodgy area that is probably slated for gentrification.
Back to the hotel... The rooms were nice, clean and well maintained. The bathroom has a curved shower rod and Bath & Body Works toiletries. The towels were nice and fluffy.
We had a waterfront facing room (faced west towards Camden Yards) which was furnished with pillow top beds, a desk and desk chair, a chair by the window, flat screen HDTV on a dresser unit that housed a safe, and fridge. There was also a small wet bar near the door with a personal Keurig coffee/tea maker. Amenities were very nice but expensive. The on-site restaurants and cafes were great but if you have time you can easily strike out for a restaurant in the neighbourhood such as the ones mentioned above. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel are an Irish pub (the James Joyce), a movie theatre, a Starbucks and a couple blocks to the east, a Whole Foods grocery store and a Rite Aid pharmacy. Take a harbourfront walk (via the footbridges over the slips) to Phillips Seafood and the former power plant which contains the Hard Rock Cafe, Barnes and Noble, and other restaurants.
Internet is free in the lobby but not in your room ($12.95/day for internet access via Ethernet AND Wi-fi) and parking is $26/day or $40/day with valet service. The parking garage is located across the street from the hotel and you take a somewhat serpentine journey through the connecting elevators and hallways into the hotel.
I'd recommend staying here except that it's somewhat pricey (I stayed on a reduced conference rate) so if you see deals on Priceline or anywhere else, seize them. I'd say the cost reflects the location rather than anything else about the hotel which was nice but not really stellar. It may be worth noting that there was a mistake in my reservation (which was made more than 2 months in advance) but I did get comped with a waterfront view at no extra charge, so that somewhat made up for it and was a nice gesture. I found all the staff accomodating and pleasant and if I can afford to stay in this hotel again, I will.

Room Tip: Waterfront views are fantastic but do cost more (obviously). A friend stayed in a room on the 6th fl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Hopewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 January 2012

There a lot of choice of where to stay when you're trying to take in the sights of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. But, I can't imagine a better place to stay than this hotel. Parking is convenient - right next door and you can get to the hotel without going outside (which was a big plus in cold weather.) The staff greeted us very warmly and we helped ourselves to the hot apple cider they were serving in the well appointed lobby (again, perfect for a cold day.) We were upgraded to a harbor view room on one of the higher floors and the view was amazing. We had planned on visiting the observation deck in Inner Harbor but we didn't need it with the view we could get from our own room! We decided to get the package deal with breakfast included and that was the right call. Our family of 5 enjoyed a delicious Sunday brunch and good buffet on Monday all for the extra $20 per night - well worth it! The room was just fine and the pool facility was very nice. I always worry that the pool is going to be cold and/or crowded, but to our delight it was very warm and there were very few people there. All in all, the was a tremndous deal and a perfect base for exploring the town.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room on one of the higher floors and you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank imaaron93
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We have stayed here several times before, and the hotel continues to be one of my favorites. The area continues to experience growth and there are many things to do and investigate.

When we arrived, I was surprised at how busy the hotel was. I was slightly disappointed that our room wasn't ready at 2:00 p.m., so we took our luggage back to the car and found a place to eat and drink. They called around 3:00 to tell use the room was ready. Getting to the hotel requires using two different elevators - not including the one to get to your room. The front desk staff was friendly and professional. The room was clean and comfortable, and the views are fabulous. At night, however, you could hear everything occurring in the hallway, and there seems to be sirens outside all night long.

We had the breakfast buffet on Sunday morning and it was great. There were extras on the buffet we weren't expecting. My favorite was the crab and corn quiche!

Overall, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Baltimore and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple