“Family getaway that was close to everything!”

Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
“Family getaway that was close to everything!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012 via mobile

We promised our daughter that we would do something special for her if she made honor roll. She also made principals list. So she said she wanted to go to the Baltimore Aquarium as her reward. We looked a several hotels and thought HGI would be good and close to the aquarium. WOW! It was great, walking distance to just about everything at the Inner Harbor. The staff was mega helpful and super nice. The only thing she enjoyed as much as the aquarium was the pool in the gym. The beds were, in my daughter's words "dreamy" comfortable. And the breakfast in the restaurant was also a big hit. Can not say enough great things about this hotel. We will book there again when we come back.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jesse L
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor. I am thrilled that you enjoyed both our proximity to Inner Harbor and the comforts of the guestroom so much. Congratulations to your daughter for her tremendous success and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
West Hempstead, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I'd give it two and a half-stars if I could.

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights while we did a college tour of the area. The hotel was in a nice location. They're doing renovations outside on the road and the traffic noise at night was loud (going over the metal road coverings). I realize this is not the hotel's fault.

Our room was small, but it was clean (so small that you couldn't even open the drawers of the nightstand because they shoved a chair in the corner. Had to practically climb over the chair to get out of bed). Closet was squeaky and was difficult to open. Tiny bathroom. The air intake handler on the wall next to the closet was loud and sounded like it was on full-blast, even when the HVAC was off. Our keys didn't work, so I had to traipse back down to the hotel front desk. Since they had one person at the desk for the HGI and one for the other portion of the hotel (suites), I had to wait 10 minutes just to get a new key. We went out all day and returned at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon to a a completely unmade room. They didn't answer the front desk phone when I called, so back downstairs I went. Waited another 10 minutes to have him tell me that they'd send someone up to clean it then. No remorse at all. No apology. So, after being out all day in the pouring rain, we went out to Whole Foods and by the time we got back, the room was cleaned. Granted, the room was tiny, but housekeeping made the bed, emptied the garbage and threw room freshener (which was still wet ... at least I hope that's what it was) on the bed. No vacuum, etc.

The front desk sign boasted about the perfect night sleep bed system, and although we had a king bed, I didn't have one of those. Would have liked to have, since the bed was too firm.

Parking was expensive, and breakfast not included and was not, in my opinion, worth the price I paid, especially with a Starbucks next door and a Whole Foods around the corner. Poor choice of TV stations.

Free Wifi, though!

Overall, our stay wasn't horrendous, but it didn't stand up to par of other HGIs I've stayed at in the past.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank momeees
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit to Baltimore. I am sorry that your room was scheduled for cleaning towards the end of the room attendant's workday as opposed to at the beginning. I appreciate that a mal-functioning key coupled with an un-serviced room would be inconvenient towards the end of the day. You have also highlighted that the team can offer additional information about the Hilton Garden Inn Garden Sleep System bed which are beds that have a dial on the side so our guests can choose the firmness or softness of their mattress. The made-to-order breakfast is also quite popular and I hope the fact that it is not free with Hilton Garden Inn's does not dissuade you from choosing us in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This Hilton Hotel shares the same entrance and reception desk with Homestead Suites. I had a “King Evolution Room” with a king-sized bed on the 9th floor and a great eastern view of a huge garden area on the 8th floor (nice trick, eh?). Apparently the roof of the building below was converted into a nice walking/sitting area with grass and stone walkways, etc. The flat-screen TV in the room was great with the HD channels available for “NADA” (free is always good) and the bathroom was large and modern with a roomy glass-door shower. I’m not a fan of the TempurPedic mattress or similar style. Give me a nice over-stuffed coil-spring mattress. There also was a mini-fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. The hotel has a bar/grill called the Great American Grill and a business room that has 3 free PCs and printers with internet access and a copier and fax machine.

This hotel is east of the inner harbor area (Piers 3,4,5 & 6) on the other side of these little walking bridges connected to the various Piers that allow you to cross over by the tip of the pier without going to the top of the pier (E. Pratt St.) and back down. Pier 5 has a hotel and a McCormick & Schmicks along with a small lighthouse. Pier 4 has a Hard Rock, Dick’s Last Resort, Houllihans and more restaurants. The next bridge will take you to the Baltimore Aquarium and Harborplace.

The free “Charm City Circulator” orange-line bus stops at the rotary by the Hilton Hotels and goes right by the Inner harbor area before crossing over the Light-Rail transit line tracks that can take you to and from the BWI Airport for $1.60 each way.

Room Tip: Higher west-facing rooms give you a great sunset and bay view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JLHoz
nyc
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Super Clean
Good view of Harbor if you request it
Amazing Gym facility not a typical HGI gym, its actually a high-end real neighborhood gym
The location is perfect close to everything, you can walk around harbor
Large glass enclosed shower
Room was very large(you need to ask for a high floor and room# that ends in 11 like 1611)

We are from NY and always hold any places to a high standard this meets and excedes our expectations. Will stay again. Will recommend.

HGI is great as always and Baltimore is fantastic as a weekend getaway.
Try The Capital Grille for amazing dinner and Bo Brooks seafood restaraunt.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoeyNewyorks
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you very much for sharing the details of your experience from your recent visit to Baltimore. Our guest rooms are quite fantastic, with many different room designs available for our guests. The Maryland Wellness Center (MAC) is award-winning and a tremendous attraction in the neighborhood. Again, thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor in the future!
Watertown, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Only good things to say to about this hotel. On our way to the hotel, we got lost in Baltimore and called the hotel. Front desk clerk Lamar not only gave us excellent directions, he stayed on the line until we reached the parking garage.
The fitness facility - the Maryland Athletic Club - was the best. Just terrific - I was able to swim laps, attend an early morning yoga class, and enjoy the whirlpool (nice waterfall) and steam shower. No extra fees! Moms, dads and children were having a great time in the separate family pool!
Our room was squeaky clean and the location was great. We ate at the Irish Pub, James Joyce, across the street and then at Oceanaire, also across the street.
My daughter will attend college in Baltimore this fall - I am looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank betsy p
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your visit to Baltimore. I was very pleased to share your comments about Lamar with the hotel team! The Maryland Athletic Club is definitely a fantastic amenity to offer our guests adn I am glad you enjoyed it. Congratulations to your daughter and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor in the future!