“Very friendly bartender and staff!”
Review of Rio Cafe - CLOSED

Rio Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This place is very welcoming and has good food and drinks! The bartender is the best!

There are newer reviews for Rio Cafe

Reviewed 31 January 2012

The rio cafe is the best here in town! It's my favorite restraint. It's not a pile of cheese food like most place that you go to. They make every thing home made, and every dish all ways has amazing flavors that explode in your mouth! All ways good for left over as well especially in the middle of the night!

1  Thank Amurk
Reviewed 11 January 2012

The Rio dosnt have your typical options as most mexican resturants do. One big negative is that you pay for your chips & salsa. Most places it comes complimentry. And sadly its not so great. Im picky about my mexican food, (espically salsa) being from Califormia. Also, its a little pricey. On the positive side my meal was great! I got asada tacos & it came with beans & rice. Everything was fresh & tasty & the poritions were generous. My husband got a quisedilla & a side of rice. He enjoyed his food as well. We would go back again.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

My primary measure of any dining place is the whether the food is fresh and flavorful. The Rio meets that standard and competes fairly with my favorite, more sophisticated and considerable pricier Portland favorites.

There's no doubt that the menu choices are pretty much what you'd expect to find in a good Mexican cafe- and the ambience is bright, fun, and funkily Mexican, the food is fresh and richly flavorful in a way I haven't been fortunate enough find very often in my occasional excursions into this ethnic realm. In fact, in the interests of transparency, I should say that Mexican food usually joins Indian cuisine near the bottom of my list of answers to the "Where will we eat today?" question. I add that because I think some of the purists out there might be mildly disappointed that it isn't "more authentic."

Since my partner and I bought a vacation rental house in nearby Gearhart in October 2010, the Rio has been a regular resource at first while we were fixing the place up and now when we come out to do the transition chores between guests. We literally love the place and have gotten very fond of the owners and the staff, who are consistently cheerful, upbeat, and helpful. Their expansion to a Cantina right next door (this month) hasn't hurt either.

While I try to vary my orders, I find that I'm always drawn to variations on their Quesadillas, the ingredients of which are either made on the premises or bought very fresh on a daily basis, and to almost anything that they use black beans on, particularly the dip. Pork Enchiladas only show up as specials (always check the daily board) but when they show up, my partner starts grinning as soon as we walk in and continues as we drive away. Their shrimp salad (made with fresh locally caught bay shrimp) is simply superb. Finally, whether I'm there for lunch or dinner, they know I'll order soup because 98% of Josh's soups manage to be spicy and palatable and rich in a way I'm blown away by.

Since I can't, with any credibility, recommend this place as a Mexican cafe I'll just stick with the title of this piece (with a small addition): If you're interested in enjoying "Fresh, Superbly Seasoned Food in a Fun and Funky Cafe" on the Northern Oregon Coast with a great staff... Rio Cafe should be at the top of your list.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had a pleasant dinner here with our son, daughter in law and their sons. This place is very kid-friendly....and has a nice varied menu. Our youngest grandson (18 months) LOVED the guacamole. The oldest boy had the quesadilla and enjoyed it as well. My husband had the carnitas, I tasted them, and they were really good. I always judge a Mexican restaurant by the enchillidas....and they passed my test. They were different than I am used to in Texas, but I did enjoy them. Change is sometimes good!
Daughter in law had a HUGE burrito, and she seemed to enjoy it, son had another meat dish, (can't remember name) and the pork was so tender it almost melted in your mouth. The items were more pricey than I'm used to in Texas, but it is Oregon, and everything is a bit more expensive. We'd definitely return there on next trip to Astoria.