“An Old, Local Chain that can nearly it all GREAT”
Review of Bono's Pit Bar-B-Q

Bono's Pit Bar-B-Q
Ranked #154 of 2,305 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My wife and I went here on a Monday shortly after 5:00 PM and the place was nearly empty. We had been to this location, the "Founding" location, a number of times.

She ordered a cheeseburger with a side of fries. The burger was HUGE, coming out of all sides of the bun. She liked it very much and would definitely have it again.

I ordered a two-meat combo platter with smoked sausage and pulled pork. It was also great. I had sides of Brunswick Stew and a Cole Slaw. I like their stew better than Sonny's but Sonny's has a larger side of slaw.

The only other chain I can compare this to for selections and pricing is Sonny's. I think Bono's has a much better selection; Sonny's has cut down their menu quite a bit in the last couple of years. Neither chain can do baby back ribs to full fall-off-the-bone tenderness so they are a draw.

Bono's wins on the burgers and the pulled pork because they don't pre-slather the pork in a sweet BBQ sauce. I like their sauces and I like them on the mustard-based and hot side. When the waitress saw that I was using the hot sauce she offered a jalopeno hot sauce that was even better.

The service was great and my tea was never empty. This probably wouldn't happen anyway because I ordered tea in a 32-oz to-go cup.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the pulled pork, the turkey, the greens & the banana pudding! The staff was friendly and patient while we decided on our meals. I would recommend this place for a good BBQ dinner or lunch.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Melanie L
Reviewed 8 August 2017

First Bono's Barbecue in Jacksonville, this location has been in town for at least 50 years and the food and service is EXCEPTIONAL!!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Went in for a late lunch and had the lunch special, 1 rib and pulled pork with 2 sides. Rib was meaty, had a nice smoke edge, pulled pork was flavorful. Good sauces to accompany the meal. I think it's worth going back when in town again.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

I loved this place! I had the Hog Special Sandwich which was huge. This place is a blast from the past! The service and prices were incredible. Heather you deserve huge kudos! Not to be missed if you are after BBQ in J'Ville.

Date of visit: June 2017