“An Old, Local Chain that can nearly it all GREAT”
Review of Bono's Pit Bar-B-Q

Bono's Pit Bar-B-Q
Ranked #149 of 2,181 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My wife and I went here on a Monday shortly after 5:00 PM and the place was nearly empty. We had been to this location, the "Founding" location, a number of times.

She ordered a cheeseburger with a side of fries. The burger was HUGE, coming out of all sides of the bun. She liked it very much and would definitely have it again.

I ordered a two-meat combo platter with smoked sausage and pulled pork. It was also great. I had sides of Brunswick Stew and a Cole Slaw. I like their stew better than Sonny's but Sonny's has a larger side of slaw.

The only other chain I can compare this to for selections and pricing is Sonny's. I think Bono's has a much better selection; Sonny's has cut down their menu quite a bit in the last couple of years. Neither chain can do baby back ribs to full fall-off-the-bone tenderness so they are a draw.

Bono's wins on the burgers and the pulled pork because they don't pre-slather the pork in a sweet BBQ sauce. I like their sauces and I like them on the mustard-based and hot side. When the waitress saw that I was using the hot sauce she offered a jalopeno hot sauce that was even better.

The service was great and my tea was never empty. This probably wouldn't happen anyway because I ordered tea in a 32-oz to-go cup.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the pulled pork, the turkey, the greens & the banana pudding! The staff was friendly and patient while we decided on our meals. I would recommend this place for a good BBQ dinner or lunch.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

First Bono's Barbecue in Jacksonville, this location has been in town for at least 50 years and the food and service is EXCEPTIONAL!!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Went in for a late lunch and had the lunch special, 1 rib and pulled pork with 2 sides. Rib was meaty, had a nice smoke edge, pulled pork was flavorful. Good sauces to accompany the meal. I think it's worth going back when in town again.

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

I loved this place! I had the Hog Special Sandwich which was huge. This place is a blast from the past! The service and prices were incredible. Heather you deserve huge kudos! Not to be missed if you are after BBQ in J'Ville.