“Major management problems made this the first and last time we stay here.”

Comfort Suites Gettysburg
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Virginia
“Major management problems made this the first and last time we stay here.”
Reviewed 22 October 2009

After all of the great reviews, our family was looking forward to staying in this new hotel. The biggest (but not the only) complaint was that our rooms were never cleaned or serviced until very, very late in the afternoon. We would come back from a long day out ready to relax a bit, and the room attendants hadn't even been there to clean yet! After the second day when we came back around 4:30, I approached the manager on duty and asked him very tactfully and nicely if that was normal for them and he was so rude and so un-management-like with his answer, "Well, what can you expect when we have 70 rooms to clean"! I'm serious! That is what he said! When I came back with my response that this was the first hotel we had ever been in where they were cleaned so late in the day, he again repeated, "As I said, we have 70 rooms to clean." I'm usually passive, but her really ticked me off! We all plopped down in the lobby for 30 minutes until they had our room finally ready. Now for the t.v. situation.....they would automatically cut off after a couple of hours, and revert back to a different channel.... Not a big deal, though. Next, there was some type of homecoming party next door at the Pike Restaurant (kind of a bar popular with bikers). The hotel had booked a block of rooms for that shindig. We had our 3 children with us. Saturday night the hotel was full of "drunk out of their minds young people". Unfortunately, one of my daughters got stuck on the elevator with 3 of them who were so drunk one of them didn't even know she was there....he was extremely foul mouthed from what my daughter told me, and she was pretty scared at the time. Needless to say, that was not a quiet night. Which brings me to one more thing. When we arrived, the elevator was making strange sounds and eventually broke later that evening. We had to do the stairs to our 4th floor until the next day when they had it serviced. It broke down again later that day or the next, so back to huffing it up and down the stairs again. The elevator still didn't sound right by the time we left our stay. Maybe all of the problems stem from the fact that they built this hotel 6 feet from the National Cemetery......yep, nice view from the bedroom windows.....nothing but gravestones. Now, we knew this before we booked, but it makes you wonder, doesn't it????? I think we could have dealt with everything EXCEPT a rude, non-helpful manager on duty, and we could have done without the drunk night.
PS...The pool is EXTREMELY small, and the breakfast bar is so-so. By the way, this is the first time I've written a review, but this stay warranted me making the effort to write!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank we5hooversVirginia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Ohio
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We originally planned to stay at the Comfort Inn, but checked out of there 2 days early because it wasn't up to Comfort Inn quality. Checked in here instead. Cost a bit more, but this is a brand spanking new motel, open only 1 month. This was previously the site of an EconoLodge, and that was torn down and this Comfort Suites was built in its place. Very nice lobby, well appointed and spacious room, great shower in the roomy bathroom. Very quiet. Pool was great, towels furnished. The lock on the door was in need of maintenance, had to slam it hard so it would lock. We have only 2 minor complaints. The breakfast in the AM had hard inedible eggs and the bacon was mass produced and looked like it. Pastries were fresh, so we stayed with that and juice since no real whole milk was available. At checkout time, we noticed undisclosed charges for a safe and for "hotel services". Very minor charges (2.49/day), but why not disclose them up front, or better yet, roll them into the price of the room? We were already paying $107/day, $110/day wouldn't be any big deal. When I inquired about what I got for the hotel services charges, desk clerk couldn't tell me. The safe charge was removed.

This is a very good motel, but they need to reconsider their billing practices.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingAllOver46
ny
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Stopped in for a room after our other Gettysburg hotel scared us. This brand new place was clean, large rooms, great breakfast, good location, wonderful staff.... this will be our new place for the next 4 years while our son is at a local college.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
aroundtheworld
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My family and I were passiing through gettysburg with intentions of staying one night. We passed by the hotel and saw it was now open so we decided to stop in. The hotel is beautiful. Cathedral lobby ceiling warm and inviting atmosphere and a very enthusiatic friendly front desk. We could not refuse the warm welcome so we decided to settle down at the hotel for the night. We walked in to the room and got so much more then what we were expecting. The rooms were so large yet cozy. My family and I had such a wonderful stay the first night in the ultra plush beds and my kids had so such a good time we decided to extend our trip to another night. .. If you traveling through Gettysburg I reccomend you stay at THIS HOTEL. It is BRAND NEW NOT EVEN 72 HOURS OLD. I assure you you will not be dissapointed.. plus the delux hot breakfast with eggs sausage and waffles alone was enough to get me to come back to this hotel.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family