New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A great place to stay in Gettysburg” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gaslight Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Gaslight Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 25 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“A great place to stay in Gettysburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Gaslight Inn with my 2 sisters, and friends for a "girls weekend" away. We had an incredible time in Gettysburg. The breakfasts were really great and Mike answered any questions for us at breakfast and had our wine chilled for us when we got back from our day of sightseeing and "ghost hunting". I have stayed in the Gettysburg area at B&B's twice before and the service/rooms at the Gaslight were the best of the three. I would definitely recommend this Inn and look forward to staying there on my next trip back to Gettysburg.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sweet William Room and one of my sister's stayed in the Aster room across the h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I recently made my first trip to Gettysburg. My boyfriend is a big history buff and, for XMas, I gave him a weekend away at the Gaslight Inn. What a terrific first experience! Right away when we arrived Becky and Mike made us feel like we were old friends. They greeted us at the door and showed us around the Inn. Becky chatted with us for a bit while she showed us around the first floor. She was very friendly and welcoming. The dogs are hilarious! Oliver even escorted us to our room! Mike got a map of town and sat down with us to go over where things are and made sure we knew how to get to everything we wanted to do. He gave us dinner recommendations (the Dobbin House was excellent!) and offered their copy of the audio tour to borrow if we wanted.

Our room was lovely. We had the Clover room. It is on the second floor and has a jacuzzi and a fireplace. Everything was spotless and comfortable. The fireplace was just the ticket to warm us up after touring the battlefield.

My boyfriend LOVED the cookies that they had out for us in the afternoons. I had to remind him to leave some for the other guests (warm chocolate chip cookies, who can blame him!).

Breakfast was excellent and very filling. The first morning we had these baked egg cups. I wasn't hungry until dinner! The second morning we had a baked french toast. Very sweet. I can't eat a lot of sweets early on in the day, so I didn't finish mine, but by the looks of the other plates, no one else minded!

We barely got everything done that we wantedto in the two days that we were there so we will definitely be back. And we will definitely be staying at the Gaslight. Thank you for helping me give a perfect Christmas present!

Room Tip: Premium rooms are well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sykesville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Let me add my voice to others who stated that co-owner Becky is a problem child. My daughter gave an overnight stay at this B&B to my husband as a b-day gift. She told Becky that we 'might' be there early - around 1:00 p.m. - even tho check-in is 3:00 p.m. Sometime after 1:00 p.m. Becky called our daughter (who then called us) to find out where we were. Between approx. 1:30 and 3:00 p.m., she called my cell phone 3 times! I didn't answer the first two times she called b/c I didn't recognize the number. The 3rd time I answered b/c I was wondering who was so persistent. It was Becky! My husband and I have reserved a lot of places over the years, and NEVER had anyone badger us by phone. Keep in mind that this was supposed to be a nice "relaxing" weekend at a B&B. It starts out by Becky compulsively calling to see where we are. So, we finally find the place and come in. As other reviewers have stated -- Mike is EXTREMELY nice and welcoming. Becky showed up a few minutes later. She just stood there. She didn't introduce herself, extend her hand, and she sure wasn't smiling. I got the distinct impression that she was annoyed that we were 'late'.

Mike gave us a quick tour of the place, and as others have stated -- informed us that they do not remain on the premises. It made me uncomfortable that the proprietors - or some staff member - wasn't there during the night. They must have left like a shot after we arrived -- because when we came downstairs to ask about a $50 gift certificate for a local restaurant our daughter also paid for -- they were GONE! In their haste to leave, they did not give us the certificate nor mention where it was. So, we went to the restaurant hoping that perhaps it had been communicated to the restaurant management. I asked when we got there, and it had NOT been communicated to management. We were told that we should have been given a gift card. This was AWKWARD and EMBARRASSING. I was so angry about this, that I barely touched my dinner. When we arrived back at the B&B, I called Mike and told him what happened. He said, "the gift card is in the envelope on the little table." Sure enough, it was -- but during our "tour", he did not mention it or show it to us. Turns out it was in a plain white envelope with no note or label, or any indication of what it was. We didn't even notice it. Bottom line, it is something that SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDED TO US ALONG WITH THE ROOM KEYS.

I was glad to read from other reviewers that their similar impressions of this B&B are not the 'norm.' I couldn't wait to get out of there, and in fact we left w/o eating breakfast -- and judging from other's comments, that may have been a good thing. We went a little ways up the street and ate at a really sweet little diner.

We will never stay there again, nor would we recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid this place... not because the physical place is bad... it isn't - it's quite lovely...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dottie W
GaslightGettyburg_PA, Owner at The Gaslight Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
We always welcome feedback from our guests. In this instance, it is very personal rather constructive, but we will do our best to respond. The three areas of comment are early arrival, our departure from the Inn, and confusion regarding the restaurant gift certificate.

Early Arrival
Regarding the comments about arrival time, our normal check-in time is between 3pm and 6pm so that we can ensure that the Inn is totally ready for the guests’ arrival. Since we try to accommodate all of our guests, we do our best to accommodate early check-ins, particularly when special arrangements have been made in advance. However, when a guest makes an arrangement to check-in early, we are unable to run errands until the guest arrives. For that reason, when the check-in time is missed, we call to determine whether there has been a change of plans giving us time to attend to other needs of the Inn.

Innkeeper Departure
The Gaslight Inn has been providing accommodations to visitors of Gettysburg for over 17 years. At no point has anyone lived on the premises. After all of the guests have checked-in and are settled in their rooms, we call it a day and head home. All guests are provided with emergency contact information for both the owners and the manager. We live a very short distance from the Inn and are able to respond on a moments notice when needed. We have never had a problem with this arrangement. If you are ever uncomfortable with this arrangement, be sure to let us know.

Restaurant Gift Card
Regarding the restaurant gift card, when special arrangements are made (in this case a birthday package), we normally have everything in the room ahead of the arrival and arrange the components of the package together on a table as we did in this case. That the envelope was not also labeled is absolutely correct. Because of this feedback we will be labeling the envelopes in the future.

We are certainly sorry that this guest had such a negative experience. We only hope that future guests will let us know of problems while they are with us so that we can attempt to correct the situation.

Mike and Becky Hanson
Owners/Innkeepers
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Owners were very friendly and helpful. I was new to Gettysburg and really loved it. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was very delicious. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Chester Springs, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Innkeepers are friendly, accommodating and helpful to the newcomer to Gettysburg. We stay there at least three times a year and find the inn to be quiet and inviting. The rooms are large and well appointed.The breakfasts are awesome as well. The dogs Toby, Oliver and newly arrived Gideon will welcome you with open paws. Until I move to Gettysburg, this is my stay of choice.

Room Tip: We prefer the Ivy Room, June Rose and Violet rooms. All are away from the street and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple