“Great Ethiopian food”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Reviewed 26 February 2017

We had a pleasant late lunch after an afternoon at the Franklin Institute. Almaz looks small when you walk in, but there are additional tables and seating on the second level. They usually serve their dishes to an ‘american’ level of hot, but they are happy to adjust to your preferences. Having travelled in Ethiopia many years ago, we opted for a medium level.

My wife and I had the Doro Wat and Zilzil Tibs. The chicken was very tender and just fell off the bone. The beef is the Zilzil was a mixed bag, some pieces very tender while others were a little chewy. Overall, we both enjoyed our meal. Since it was just the two of us, they brought our meals out on one large serving dish, lined with ingira, and extra ingira on the side. Our meal also came with a helping of pickled vegetables, a lentil mix, and additional hot, spicy sauce.

Ethiopian dining — giving new meaning to the term ‘finger’ food! If you’ve never enjoyed eating Ethiopian food, YouTube has several videos “How to Eat With Injera”. Try it!

This is a BYOB establishment, so if you are hoping to drink some tej with your meal, you’ll need to bring your own!

Reviewed 11 April 2016

We went here on a snowy Saturday in April (??!) for lunch. No one in my family had ever had Ethiopian food before but I'm on a kick getting my kids (4, 7, 10, and 13) to eating authentic food from a different country every week. Well, my husband liked it but I only really cared for the Doro Tibs (chicken). Luckily, I had also ordered a "safety" dish for my kids...turkey and cheese sandwich - which some declared "the best turkey sandwich ever."
So I think its a matter of tastebuds. This place got good reviews from people who like Ethiopian food and for those who don't, they have American food. They even have breakfast all day long now if your kid/boyfriend/weird cousin only eats pancakes for every meal!

Reviewed 7 January 2016

Had the firfir, which was served with several enjera. Lovely meal, complex garlicky flavors, filling. Really lovely. Also had cappucino which was well done. Food was served quickly and efficiently.

The restaurant is tiny - only a few tables downstairs, and only a few tables upstairs.

Only negative is the table cloth was clean but had substantial, noticeable oil stains. Probably should have been retired.

Reviewed 24 December 2015 via mobile

We took food to go, so maybe that added to the bland flavors. The owners were super nice. The coffee was the best we had in the city

1  Thank SethandAnn
Reviewed 15 December 2015

Background: While looking for a restaurant near Rittenhouse Square that makes smoothies, we happened upon Almaz, an Ethiopian Restaurant (and more, they serve breakfast, etc). Being lovers of Ethiopian food, we gave it a try.

Verdict: We've been to Almaz many times. Almaz which means "Diamond" in Ethiopian, is a favorite "Let's Go To" place! Ask Almaz, also the name of the friendly owner, to make her special Vegetarian Platter. Costs a little bit more, but uses different ingredients. And the "regular: Vegetarian Platter is yummy as well, though a bit spicier. The Blue Berry Smoothie is awesome. Once you eat there, you'll be back!