“Very good Seafood Place”
Review of 26 North

26 North
Ranked #812 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Description: Dynamic seafood-oriented BYOB in the heart of Old City Philadelphia from celebrated talent of Chef Mike Stollenwerk.
Reviewed 16 June 2016

Very good BYOB place. Some dishes are better then others, but they all very good. Highly recommend octopus, skate wing, and baramundy. Everything seasoned and cooked to perfection.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

The ambiance is so-so but the food and the service were outstanding. Grilled octopus should not be missed. The presentation and the service did the meals justice. There is public parking close by and spend a little time strolling the historic neighborhood before or after dinner. The menu is limited so that the few dished that are offered are expertly done. The kitchen was in sync with the waitstaff and all went well. Enjoy!

Reviewed 10 May 2016

26 North is a relatively new primarily seafood restaurant (with one vegetarian and one beef entrees).
We found the food excellent. We shared three appetizers: the char-grilled octopus (not to be missed), the salmon belly crudo (with the crispest, mildest radishes I've ever had), and scallops wrapped in duck (different from and much tastier than bacon -- although these have now I think been rotated off the menu).
We had four entrees. One beef, cooked to rare perfection. One barramundi, which was delicious. I had the pastrami spiced salmon, which I asked for medium rare or a little rarer, and which was mildly pastrami-ed and melt-in-your-mouth perfectly cooked. My wife had the skate wing in a subtle, delicious sauce.
I should note that the accompaniments to the main dish were very appealing -- mine were brussel sprouts, rye berries (new to me!), a creamy light whole grain mustard sauce, and a couple of other items. I joked (I think accurately) that just ordering the sides would give you a delicious dinner.
We did not try desert.
We really liked our server, who was good at descriptions, humourous, and patient.
Like many Philadelphia restaurants, it is BYOB, but less about two blocks from a good (state) liquor store; like many (because they don't make money on alcohol) it is cash only.
Our dinner -- three appetitizers, four entrees, no wine, came to $172 before tip, or a little over $200 with tip (we tipped 20% on the pre-tax $159).
We all highly recommend it.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

Too much hot stuff. I had frog's legs, which were in a Chinese sauce replete with hot peppers. Good sauce, but I couldn't taste the frog's legs. My main course was tuna with a black pepper crust. i finally scraped off the pepper so I could taste the tuna. However, my wife's endive salad was very good, and her fish soup was spicy but not too much so. The apple clafoutis was not good -- there's a nice ice cream place at 3rd and Market.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

Based on past experience with the chef, I'm not at all surprised the food was wonderful. Succulent grilled octopus, out-of-this world skate wing (for which the chef is well-known), perfectly cooked salmon. The service was surprisingly bad and it wasn't even crowded. The hostess gave us attitude when we arrived and needed change for the parking kiosk. We waited more than 25 minutes for someone to open our wine and waited almost 40 minutes between apps and entrees. Good thing we had lots to catch up on with the friends we were with. No one apologized for or even acknowledged the delays until we inquired on our way out, at which point we were told they had "lost a chef." Hope they get their act together, because it has great potential