“Real Mexican with creative twists”
Review of Xochitl

Xochitl
Reserve with OpenTable
Xochitl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #805 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 14 - USD 27
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: Pine Street
Description: Xochitl serves traditional Mexican fare with a modern twist in a fun and comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh made guacamole, antojitos, ceviches, and platos fuertes. Two full service bars feature hand-squeezed margaritas and fresh specialty cocktails. Our extensive tequila list features over 70 bottles.
Reviewed 13 November 2015 via mobile

This is an interesting Mexican restaurant because it always comes up with a special twist. The guacamole is fresh and custom made. This visit on a Tuesday night, I had Caesar Asada, made with grilled romaine, corn, a great cheese and corn bread croutons. A Tuna tartar - first class with a little bite to it and the flan - perfect. Joe, the maitre de and Monica the waitstaff are great. We are fairly regular here and worth every visit.

Reviewed 20 October 2015

My husband, son and I went on a weekday to this restaurant for a first time visit. Pleasantly surprised. I had the best sangria. I chose blanco and it was a wise choice. My son who has a hot taste ordered the El Pepino and said it was real good. He also tried the Michelada and that was awful. Smelled terrible also. It was Dos Equis amber beer and some spicy tomatoe juice combo. Just the thought makes me sick. The red snapper ceviche was enjoyable. We all ordered tacos. I wanted Carnitas tacos but they ran out. My husband and I ended up with Chcken tacos and never had better. The spicy brisket tacos were good also according to my son. Topped off the night with some kind of apple dessert which as you can see was not that memorable since I forgot what the contents were. Will definitely return. A bit expensive but worth it.

Reviewed 13 October 2015

Very disappointed overall. The drinks were fantastic but pricey. We waited an hour and 45 minutes for our entrees to arrive for a party of six. Our server was very inattentive and took a while to even take our order. The drinks arrived 20 minutes after we placed the order. While the food was great, the wait ruined our experience. We were just so hungry and thirsty the whole night. I was even more disappointed when we finally received the bill and noticed that our server had added on a 20% service charge. Normally I tip well over 20% but our poor service really rubbed me the wrong way.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

the made to order guacamole and fresh margaritas are the best I have ever had!!!! We have eaten here 4 or 5 times and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 11 May 2015

We had a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 under 18) for Mother's Day. Four of us had not been there before, the other 2 have been. We love Mexican Food and were looking forward to the visit. We had 1pm reservations and were seated right away. Our drink orders were taken fairly quickly and then our meal orders were taken. Only once through out the whole meal (we were there almost 2 hours) did someone stop by to refill drinks. We got tired of waiting and refilled our own water from the pitcher sitting on the counter. Another table did the same thing and refilled their own waters. The person that took our food order was not the one that delivered the food. They missed two items from our order. The young lady that apparently became our server, we were never able to get her attention, she kept waiting on her two other tables, including having a lengthy conversation with one table as we tried to get her attention as she ended here chat. No one ever stopped by to ask how the meals were. We finally stopped another server to tell her about the missing items. Fifteen minutes later they finally brought one of the missing items. We told them to forget about the other. Again we all but had to get up from the table to stop the woman that was suppose to be our server to ask for the check. She brought it and said here's your check and took off, no thanks for coming, no sorry for the missed items, nothing. Her tip on a $100+ bill certainly reflected her service. I realize it was Mother's Day, but when we left there were plenty of empty tables, so I don't believe they were packed. The food was very good, but the service was so so bad that I would be hard pressed to want to go back. The two in our group that had been there before said that this service was the worst they had experienced, but that the service has not been very good in recent visits.

Pete L, General Manager at Xochitl, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

I apologize about your experience during your visit on Mother's Day. We had 2 servers call out and 1 kitchen staff not show up for their shift on Sunday. Since we were short staffed we were not able to give the service we expect and demand of our staff. It is inexcusable and we have established new guidelines to stop this from becoming a recurring theme. I would like to do whatever I can to help and show you a great experience here for a future visit. My name is Joseph Corvino and I am the General Manager here at Xochitl. My contact number is 610-506-9504. Feel free to call me anytime as I would love to extend a gift certificate for a future visit. I appreciate your review as this is one of the only ways to ensure change for the better.