All reviews small refrigerator yogurt south street ceiling fan first floor min walk nice room historic sites marjorie tradewinds ac
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at TradeWinds for 2 nights in the downstairs queen suite.

It was our 12th anniversary and I surprised her with a quick trip to Philadelphia. It was her first time in the city. She'd always wanted to see the historic sites.

My wife and I both enjoy rustic places to stay and that is exactly what Trade Winds is. It is a beautifully decorated, old, squeaky wooden floors, historic building, type place.

This is NOT high end corporate stye lodging.

Marjorie, the host, is an incredibly charming woman and very attentive. If you need a battle plan for your vacation, Marjorie will help. She knows almost everything around Philadelphia and you can tell she adores her city.

12-15 minute walk from her front door to Independence Mall. Super easy to walk.

Parking garage at the Acme grocery 1 block away is expensive $12/2 hrs or $20 for 12-24 hours. But it's Philadelphia. If you have to drive this garage will work.

Breakfast isn't a traditional B&B. Marjorie provides a variety of breakfast options for you to prepare in room. Not fancy. Cereal, yogurt, bagels, waffles etc. If you desire something more specific the Whole Foods is 1 block away. Or talk with Marjorie. I'm sure, depending on the request, she will work diligently to accommodate you.

Highly recommend!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

What a great place! I called ahead to arrange check in and got friendly comprehensive directions.

On arrival I got to choose my room as I was the only person staying. Both were gorgeous but I chose the one with the four poster bed. Facilities were great with microwave, fridge stocked with yoghurts, milk and juice.

Bathroom was lovely and the small table and chairs overlooking the window and stocked with cereal, made up for the morning were a nice touch.

Location is excellent with a 5 min walk to South Street and I will definitely stay again : )

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

A wonderful Cute Affordable setting with a very kind, and welcoming host/owner..everything was very clean, however I do not recommend if you want to sleep past 6am..in home dogs would not quiet 6-11am at checkout..

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corey C
Reviewed 14 March 2017

We stayed in the 3rd floor Queen room. The room was comfortable with some tasteful decoration (lovely garden mural, several old mirrors). One of the two closets was being used for house supplies, as were the drawers of one of the two chests of drawers. The bathroom is in between this room and the other 3rd floor room. There was a small refrigerator stocked with milk, orange juice, bottled water and yogurt; a microwave; and a small coffee maker (coffee, tea bags and packets of cocoa are provided as is a container of cereal). Be aware that a cooked breakfast is not provided; you make your own in the room or you go out (an Acme supermarket and a Whole Foods are 1 block away).

We noticed a number of areas that could use some attention -- wallpaper coming off the bathroom wall, holes in the wall from a previous towel bar, well-worn towels, liquid soap that seemed more liquidy than usual. In the middle of the night, my husband turned the bathroom doorknob and it came off in his hand.

The building is one block from the sites of South Street, and within walking distance of Independence Hall (6 blocks) and the Kimmel Center (8 blocks).

Stayed: March 2017
1  Thank Lisabeth D
Reviewed 18 October 2016

I give this 5 stars based on location, cleanliness and the hostess! Marjorie rocks on most every level of being the perfect host. The location is perfect as there is are markets, shops, eateries and bars within an easy block walking distance. The neighborhood is full of friendly people who trust their surroundings day and night. What a wonderful concept. Jim's has a very notable true, authentic Philly cheese steak that was delicious (I should have gotten the Provolone cheese instead tho)! Public transportation has close and easy access. The subway to New Jersey is a mild 3 blocks away. South Street is so fun in the evening even on a week day and not scary. I think the only gripe I have is that the pillows were somewhat flat. Other than that, the rooms got replenished daily with water, coffee, milk, orange juice, yogurt and cereal along with a nice "bistro" setting to enjoy your private breakfast and fresh utensils, plates and bowls! We will be back as there is so much to see in Philly! FYI, if you do not get the main room, there are steps. The stairway is very friendly with plenty of handrails to help you up and down but very steep. We stayed in one of the two 3rd floor twin rooms with a shared bathroom. Just a simple little knock on the door can make it absolutely ok to share! The twin 3rd floor room we stayed in had two large windows facing Lombard and 10th Street. At times it was loud as we had the windows open (even with the ceiling fan going) but it was wonderful to be able to see the people and activity going on. Thank you Marjorie for a very memorable experience! We'll be back!

Room Tip: The queen room on the main floor is absolutely stunning!
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple