“Come to West Philadelphia for the Ethopian (and more)”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighbourhood: University City
Neighbourhood: University City
Reviewed 24 March 2016

Gojjo is my go to neighbor bar for my West Philadelphia friends and me. They have about seven beers on draught and bottles, including Daura, a gluten free beer. I hang out there about every two weeks, relaxing with friends, having a beer or two and eventually ordering one of the several Ethiopian dishes on the menu, like the kitfo, doro wot or zilzil tibs. If I’m not at the bar, I order take out from them about once a month.

However this week I was finally tempted by the Ethiopian Cheese Steak. The tag line is “an ethnic twist to a Philly cheesesteak.”

It was simply a fun pleasure. The cheesesteak had all of the creature comforts of the dish: the local Amoroso roll – a Philadelphia treasure – and gooey, melted American cheese. (I’m not a whiz guy.) However, there is a pleasant twist, the addition of mitmita. That’s the exotic spice mixture of hot chili peppers, cloves, cinnamon and cumin that makes my favorite, kitfo, so good. It brings the fire to the sandwich with a spicy sweetness that is in harmony with the fried minute steak and the creamy cheese. Since I’m the guy that likes adding hot peppers to my cheesesteak, this is a welcome addition to the dish.

I have tried many of the dishes on the menu there. Another favorite is nyama choma served with ugali. This is a Kenyan dish with a Swahili name meaning roast meat. It’s strips of beef, grilled to tender and charred perfection served with a thick cornmeal porridge that you break off pieces in order pick up the nyama choma to eat.

Living close to Gojjo has helped me make Ethiopian food more of a staple of my diet.

Reviewed 13 December 2015

We organized a group dinner here. Arrived only to find no tables set up. It was as if the reservation we made never existed. They were just generally disorganized. The place is also woefully understaffed.The servers are nice but it takes forever for food to arrive. And here's the kicker-after all the delays and disorganization our party had to deal with, management had the nerve to kick people out from tables because they weren't "spending money," despite the fact we had a huge group of people patronizing & ordering food that damn near never came. Management is rude & unprofessional-no wonder they're understaffed!

Reviewed 6 August 2015

This is a great place to go and spend an evening. You may work your way through multiple rounds of drinks before your food arrives--both the service and the kitchen are quite slow--but the final product is quite tasty for a good price.

There are also some good Indian dishes on the menu. Yes, it's an Ethiopian restaurant, but there are lots of Indians who live in Ethiopia and certain Indian dishes have become incorporated into many Ethiopian people's diets.

There is a wonderful outdoor space all the way in the back. It's the perfect place to spend a summer evening. Just be sure you don't arrive starving.

Reviewed 15 July 2015

Very good Ethiopian Food. My favorite Dish is the Beef Tibs over rice spicy! I also enjoy the Beef Sambosa and the Ethiopian Cheese Steak. I eat at this place very often.

Reviewed 19 October 2014

It is generally a bad sign when you walk in an " Ethiopian restaturant" and none of the people eating there or working there are Ethiopian. This is the case with Gojjo. The food is not goodconsidering this restaurant is located very close to at least 3 other restaurants that are tasty. The drinks were wayyy to strong. The music was amazing if you like African music though it is west African music not Ethiopian music but No one was dancing from 11pm unitl about 1am when I left. There was a gaping hole on the dance floor that no one felt comfortable filling. Finally the customers are very aggressive to women, so many women would feel uncomfortable going there alone. They are not threatening but it will be hard to be left alone. Also the female bathroom door does not close or lock so that's hard