“Excellent Food and Service; highly recommend. BYOB”

To-Yo Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,043 of 5,036 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I was impressed with our recent dinners at Toyo in the past 2 weeks! Loved it so much we’ve been back a few times and worth the 45 minute drive! Very impressed with the presentation of all the dishes. As a vegetarian there are plenty of delicious options for me! Others in our group raved about the various sushi dishes they had. Everything was very fresh. Service was excellent! Very polite, friendly and helpful with our menu questions. It is a casual BYOB. Didn’t try any desserts. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Best-tasting sushi in the area. Always fresh. Great and quick service with either take-out or dine-in. Its BYOB.
Rich Sashimi salad is our personal favorite.

Reviewed 26 December 2016

Our friends love it but we do not. There is a very strong fishy odor upon entering and it lingers throughout the meal. We were not very fond of the place and did not like the food. If it weren't for the odor we might give it another try with our friends. Its very offensive!

Reviewed 8 December 2016

Many sushi choices and every time I go the sushi chef doesn´t disappoint me. My favorite is Don 3 Roll, a Crunchy spicy tuna wraps shrimp tempura topped with avocado, caviar rice, and crunchy spicy yellowtail". It is not a fancy sushi place so connoiseurs may be disappointed, but for the price and quality, it is definitely above other restaurants. It´s BYOB.
I´ve been coming to To-Yo for lunch and dinner for the past ten years. The service is friendly, but be ready to wait longer Saturday evenings. It´has recently expanded, I guess the business is flourishing. The place is located in Northeast Philadelphia, a non-descript facade in strip mall. Russian speaking customers (though some may speak other Slavic languages) like to eat at To-Yo since the area has a large community.
I´ll keep coming back even though for me is a 20 minute drive.

Reviewed 16 July 2016

The good thing is it is a BYOB. We were invited to this restaurant because it is our host's favorite, but I actually don't see why. Our host asked if he could order his "favorites" to really experience their food. My husband ordered the pork dumpling soup, which he said was the best part of the meal. Not realizing it, the bowl does serve about 3-4 people. We then had two sashimi salads. Looking at the menu now, I can't tell you which ones, but I can tell you one had octopus (chewy) and was drowned in a sauce. The other only had salmon on lettuce with a sauce that tasted like mayo. Then we shared 4 of their special sashimi rolls. I can't tell which ones because they tasted the same. The one with spicy tuna had no spice. Unfortunately, it had no creativity. It was average, eh! We will not return.