“Best Philly Cheesesteak ”

Jim's Steaks South St.
Ranked #10 of 96 Quick Bites in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Every time I go to Philadelphia, I try all the cheesesteak places, and after several years of doing this, I have determined that Jim’s is the best. Now I only stop at Jim’s on South Street. My latest trip there was just as good as all the times before. The place is very busy and I had to wait 30 minutes, but it was worth every second!

If you wanted a REAL Philly cheesesteak, With all the attitude of a South Philly Place, and a cheesesteak that is second to none, you need to go to this place

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

You can't go to Philly without having a cheese steak sandwich and these are the bomb. The place does not look like much but the sandies are awesome. There is a dining area upsatirs. Be patient there is usually a line.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Words cannot do their sandwiches justice....simply breathtaking! I HAVE NEVER HAD A BETTER CHEESESTEAK!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were told to go here. We waited 1 hour in line on a freezing Saturday. It was fun. It was delicious. Happy that we could sit upstairs and eat. Not sure if I would do it again, but it was an experience! CASH ONLY! I thought the actual bread/bun or whatever you call it, was exceptional!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Although the lines outside this decades old establishment are guaranteed to be long, extending down the sidewalk, the result is worth it. Experience Philly like you’ve never experienced before. Unbelievably tasty and unique.