“Quick run up to Philly and can't skip Jim's”

Jim's Steaks South St.
Ranked #83 of 4,585 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped in and got the family 4 cheese steaks. Wonderful as ever. Forgot to add the whiz which was my mistake, a little dry because I forgot this key component.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This was my 3rd time at Jim's and was awesome as normal. The cheesesteak was excellent. Arrived at about 6:45PM on a Friday to no line.. which was a surprise. Ive waited in line before and it is worth it. Staff was funny and helpful.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My girlfriend and I were looking forward to a "real" Philly Cheese Steak on our visit to Philadelphia. We are both North Easterners and feel that we have a good food sense about us. So we did our research and more importantly, on our first day in Philly, we asked locals where they go for a steak..... hands down, Jims was recommended 90 percent of the time and those that picked somewhere else, we noticed it was not Ginos nor Pats.....so we thought, great! Jims it is. Well, we headed to Jims, definitely a cool place with a good vibe and a very diverse crown in line. We each ordered a steak....I had it with onions, provolone and peppers where my girlfriend had a more traditional with wiz and onions. We were both let down, there really was not much taste at all. Mine was not bad nor was it homerun, not even extra bases. My girlfriend was not happy at all with hers. I am not sure if we hit them on a bad day but listening to other patrons upstairs in the dining area, most people seemed happy with theirs. My son accused me of being a cheese steak snob but that is not the case. We were just not impressed with the steaks at all. So, I say that maybe you manage expectations and I would think hard about it if there is a long line. All I can say is good luck!!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

I've been going to Jim's for years. i don't live in Philly anymore, but still drive from NJ to pick up a couple steaks. Jim's on South Street is the best of Philly, no doubt. Their hoagies are great too - just recently tried one for the first time. Yum. Stand in line....it's worth it !!

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Wiz, provolone cheese, and fried onions! Then go across the street and get some poutine! While it's not worth waiting in line (which sometimes wraps around the corner), if you catch it at the right time, consider yourself lucky & grab yourself a taste of brotherly love.