“A never-forget experience ”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 4,522 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 8 - USD 40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: 2 nd & Walnut Streets
Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 2nd and Market Streets as well as the 21 & 42 bus lines drops at our door
Description: Once called "the most genteel tavern in America" by John Adams and the first unofficial "White House," Chef Walter Staib's City Tavern has boasted the finest celebrations since 1773. With over 230 years of hospitality, City Tavern has been the centerpiece of affairs now immortalized in history. An evening at City Tavern is certain to be remembered. Just imagine sampling specialties, such as pepperpot soup, colonial turkey pot pie, roast duckling, Thomas Jefferson's sweet potato biscuits paired with ales the ales of the revolution made from George Washington & Benjamin Franklin's recipes -- all served by costumed wait staff. Watch an episode of A Taste of History on PBS, our Chef Proprietor Walter Staib will give you glimpse of what we do here at City Tavern.
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I visited City Tavern with friends from different states. We made the visit along with a visit to nearby historical sites and museums. From the first moment on the street, looking at this historical building, to the decor, to the food and drink, to the thrill of meeting Chef Staib himself, I will never forget my visit.

Note: my friends and I are history presenters- so we came in costume, if you see the photos.

ChefStaib, Guest Relations Manager at City Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

It was so great to meet everyone! I believe the waitstaff had just as much fun as you and your party. Hope to see everyone again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,557)

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

This is such an interesting gem of a restaurant that has an important history. It's been recreated to look like it did when George Washington dined there and the menu is filled with dishes that Washington, Jefferson, Adams, etc. would have enjoyed. Our server, Destinee, was not only a great server, but had several little anecdotes to share about the history and the likes of the colonials who visited. I enjoyed the sweet potato bread that was Jefferson's favorite..it's sweet and dense..almost like a cookie!

We had raspberry shrubs that were really new to us and super refreshing. I had beef medallions with mashed potatoes and it was a great dish. My sister had chicken Madeira and she loved it. On previous visits I had the corn chowder and pork chop with sauerkraut and table mates were trying to steal my sauerkraut!

Chef Staib was there talking with a group dressed as colonials in our dining room. It was fun to see him in person!

So, go, and enjoy and if you are lucky, you will get Destinee as your excellent and friendly server!

Reviewed 21 September 2017

We went to the restaurant when it was still daylight. By the time we left the candles on the tables and on the walls were the only
illumination. Great atmosphere.
I love rabbit and their rabbit stew was to die for. One child had a ham and cheese sandwich. The other adult had smoked pork chops and cabbage. Huge and delicious portions. The bread pudding was also very good. Service was slow.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Really nice restaurant.
Not only for the nice building and the very kind staff, but also for the really good selection of plates they have in the menu'.
Finally a good restaurant that serves real food.
Nice arrangement and tasty well cooked food.
Really interesting selection of beers.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

My husband wanted to stop for lunch. We decided this was a perfect spot as the building alone was charming. Little did we know were we in for a step back into time lunch experience. We love history so this lunch was wonderful. The hostess and waiters are dressed in the time period. The basket of bread had a history story behind it and our meals were wonderful. The water cups were even set in the time period. So enjoyed our lunch and this is a must experience opportunity!

1  Thank Shelly E