“Congenial Spot for Brew, Sandwiches and a Tall Tale”
Review of Bonner's Irish Pub

Bonner's Irish Pub
Ranked #1,721 of 5,097 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Reviewed 30 September 2018

This is a perfectly agreeable Irish Pub with a friendly, efficient server and a good bar menu. We went mid-Saturday and the place was laid back with good vibes all around.

Barbara (wife) had the Liverwurst with onions, lettuce and tomato and it was good enough, but ironically she found it too generous (if that is possible) with rather thick slabs of the meat. Good toasted rye and chips to boot. Also delicious fries with gravy.

I had the bacon cheeseburger (of course, if you have read my reviews, what else would I try first time at any given tavern?) It was a traditional burger and really good. Excellent fresh beef, good bacon and perfect American cheese. All washed down with a Harp in a chilled glass and fries. Full bar as well, naturally.

Pub had good rich woods and seating outside.

The tall tale? I read the back of the menu because it claimed to give a history of this fine establishment. Turned out it was one tall tale after another, including the claim that the original owner of the Bonner (O'Bonner, they said his name was)) had invented Karaoke in the 1600s , Back then, so they swore, by gosh, it was called "O'Karaoke") I guess they do have Karaoke for real on some nights and I imagine the place gets pretty cranked up when they do.

Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

Friendly staff with a smile, great bar food, plenty of beer on tap, games to play and good folks to share a story with.

1  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed 8 December 2016

I just visited Bonners again a few days ago. Banners Pub is around the corner from my office and both I and friends and/or business associates always wind up there for lunch! It's convenient and friendly. The food is very good. This past week I enjoyed a bowl of French Onion Soup, A delicious Ruben, and some french fries and a soda (free refills) and my bill, with tip was $20.00! Can't beat that folks. Usually the place is empty when I go; after the lunch hour. I have the multiple tv's to myself, it's quiet and very relaxing with absolutely no rush.

1  Thank dallasmorning
Reviewed 11 August 2016

A bartender recommended we go to Bonner's for some happy hour drinks. We had a group of 6, and were slightly uncomfortable by how quiet it was inside at first (it was 6 pm on a Monday,so maybe that had something to do with it). There was no music and no one was talking. We were greeted immediately by the friendly bartender Terry. She set us up with shuffleboard, pitchers of beer, and appetizers...and we played some music. The happy hour specials were great, and the food was delicious. We ended up having a pretty good time, but it seems more like a quiet place to have a meal than a bar to have drinks with a group.

1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed 4 September 2014

I've been working literally around the corner from Bonner's for over 11 years. Recently, over the past three or four months I've had the pleasure of having lunch there. Both times it was very enjoyable. I found the restaurant clean, the waitresses and staff pleasant and it's literally walking distance away which is a huge plus!
The food was well prepared, tasted fresh and very good. I had the typical sandwich -- club sandwich one time, and a Rueben another. With a side of fries it hits the spot.
The restaurant - at least for the lunch period is pretty quite which I enjoy. I can watch the sports and recaps on the big TV's throughout, or just do some business reading.
Definitely will go back.