“Wonderful Seafood”
Review of Chart House

Chart House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #484 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: South Street
Description: Chart House is a fine dining restaurant serving seafood & steak and famous for their spectacular views. For more than 50 years, Chart House has redefined the ideal dining experience. With 27 waterfront and showcase locations ranging from the historic to the unforgettable, Chart House restaurants specialize in dazzling views, unique cuisine and exceptional service. From fresh fish specialties to slow-roasted prime rib, the renowned chefs of Chart House have tailored a menu that adds a unique touch to local flavors. And the Chart House happy hour is a guest favorite, where guest favor our signature cocktails and delicious bites you are sure to enjoy. Our original Hot Chocolate Lava Cake is the perfect end to a memorable dining experience at Chart House. Chart House offers the ideal setting for your next event. We would be happy to assist you with all the details of your special occasion.
Reviewed 8 November 2015

I have not been to this Chart House in years but when I travel I will stop at the other locations. This was a birthday celebration and my wife was pleasantly surprised by the birthday message at the top of our menus. They were specially printed, a nice touch.

We reviewed the menu and our server carefully explained several of the dishes when we asked questions. We did not ask about the size of the appetizers, we are used to small plates in fancy restaurants. What a mistake, the appetizers were shareable and delicious. We had the Kim Chee Calamari and the Wicked Tuna both were large and delicious.

For entrees my table had a steak, the King Salmon, and the Burnt Butter Mahi. Yes I know, a steak at a seafood restaurant. It was my daughter's wish and I tried a bite. I was surprised how nicely the filet mignon was prepared. I asked the waitress to have my salmon crispy on the outside and medium on the inside. The Salmon was just perfect and nicely seasoned.

Then we made the mistake of ordering two lava cakes. They were just as we imagined, delicious, but with all of the food it was too much. We finished but were actually full. I saw a comment on here about the place being a bit expensive. I disagree, for the size and quality of the portions, it is the price I would expect. And one could argue that the prices are reasonable.

Yes the views were nice, but a good restaurant with views is nothing without good food and service. Oh and what I liked also was the Manager who would stop by and engage the customers.

Reviewed 4 November 2015

We came here on a Tuesday for a business dinner and it was completely dead which surprised me.
The waiter was a little strange/odd but still was very nice and always came to check on us.
The apps and entrees were really good! Expensive though but expected that. The menu was pretty limited in my opinion. The view of the ships, the lights and the water was pretty cool for your dining experience.
The reason why I am not giving this 5 starts I because the inside is really old and out dated. The carpet looks worn, the décor is out dated - it really needs a face lift. You are in Philly with great views with expensive food - I expected a little more.
There are so many place to eat in the area - not sure I would be back again even though I really enjoyed my food :(

Reviewed 17 October 2015

Great time with large group, great service and attention to detail. Meal was lovely. Price point was where it should be for food quality.

Reviewed 16 October 2015

My husband and I were here on a date night. The view was incredible, and it was lovely to watch the boats below. The food was great, but the waiter really made our visit! He was very attentive, started conversations, and added a very warm, personal touch to the evening. Can't remember his name, but he was tall, had dark hair and glasses, and seemed a little gangly, but oh my, such kindness to everyone around him!

Reviewed 15 October 2015

This restaurant seems to have been around as long as I have been alive - it has seen it's ups and downs and through the years - I would try to stop in to see which end was up. On this visit - the Chart House was on the "Upswing" I am glad to report. I was in the mood for good "cocktails" and I came in during the "Tall Ship Festivals" a few months ago and remembered the cocktails, but this night - I also had a full dinner entree as well.

One of the best parts of this restaurant is the location on the waterfront. It was after work and me and a friend decided to treat ourselves to a great dinner and drinks. We both enjoyed our cocktails and for the appetizer we decided on the Kim See Calamari - the sauce made it outstanding!! My friend ordered the stuffed Tilapia and I had the pasta with savory shrimp - both good choices. It was a quiet evening in the restaurant, so the service was adequate.

Overall, I do feel the food and drinks are a bit on the high side, they were all good - but not outstanding as the prices would suggest. Be prepared to spend some $$ for a night out here.

Pros: Location - Great Scenery
Cons: Food is Ok - Prices are High