“Just awesome!”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Walnut & Locust
Transit: Easily accessible by bus, train, and subway.
Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Just an outstanding experience... We were greeted at the door by the owner, who was extremely pleasant and set the tone for our lunch! The food was great, as was the service! Definitely save room for dessert! The flourless chocolate cake was delicious! Our family enjoyed Bliss and plan to return during future visits to Philadelphia.

Reviewed 21 December 2015

This was a good "go to" place before the theater. There were issues the last two times we dined at Bliss. The first time many diners actually eft the restaurant without eating as the kitchen was so slow. The last time they were out of many menu and bar items. Needless to say, we will not be back.

Reviewed 21 December 2015

We dined at Bliss last night pre-theater. Upon arrival, we were offered one of two available four-person tables on the first floor, the one near the drafty doorway (it was a cold, windy night). Was asked for the other table in the middle of the room and the hostess said it was "reserved". We asked what that really meant, and she said it meant that tables had been pre-assigned to reservations, not that patrons had requested particular tables. We urged, and she said she would have to check with a manager if we could switch. She returned and said it was ok. How dumb! Why doesn't the hostess have the authority to give people whatever table they want? (The hostess seemed bright and capable.)
The restaurant was understaffed, which our waitress said was due to three servers calling in sick. We understood, and our waitress did her best. She was pleasant, intelligent and experienced, so all went well except that one of the drinks we ordered was incorrect, although this was quickly corrected.
The ambience is pleasant and not loud, so conversation at normal speaking levels was fine.
The bar offerings were not up to expectations. This is a fairly expensive restaurant, yet most of the liquor is less than top-shelf. When I go to an expensive restaurant I expect the liquor to be commensurate. The bourbons were all mediocre. There was only one good scotch (Macallan 12). No high-end tequilas.
The food was very good. The menu could have been more extensive, and we weren't offered any daily additions.
Will we be back? Maybe, maybe not. There are so many excellent restaurants in Philadelphia . . .

Reviewed 19 December 2015

We went here for a pleasant dinner before attending a show at the Kimmel Center. I had heard great things about the restaurant, so we were looking forward to the evening. Bottom line, this was a mixed experience and so at best the overall rating is 3 stars. First, when we entered the restaurant – no one was at the desk. We waited and finally I got the attention of the bartender who had someone from the back come out to seat us and confirm our reservation. So I immediately sense there is something off. Now, you should know that the food did not drop their star rating. It is really how they got a 3. The Pappardelle pasta was delicious as was the calamari and the Filet Mignon. The Bluecoat martinis were done perfectly and we had good pours of wine. So why do I give it only 3 stars? It was our server. He seemed as if he were “performing” a theatrical piece of his own design with grand gestures and a poorly written script -- rather than serving. Every interaction came with some attempt at wit and charm, but it seemed strained and contrived. The “young man” and the “petite young lady” lines might have worked a few decades ago on us, but they were a bit off putting now! Yet, it wasn’t just the old trite lines; it was the lack of attention. I can never understand when a server is at another nearby table and never looks in your direction – to save them a trip, to see if you need anything, etc. This server had that down to a science – he never looked at us unless we waved in his direction. So when I saw the calamari come out of the kitchen; I also saw it sit, and sit, and sit on the counter. Our server was nowhere to be found. Finally; another server swooped it up and delivered it to our table. When we pointed out it was cold – this new server – quite professionally said he would have them make a new batch and also made some rather generous adjustments to our bill. The food was quite good. The second server was attentive and professional, but alas our original server returned to close out the meal. The message to management – if I wanted “dinner theatre” I would have gone somewhere else that night. Also, one of the reasons I chose this restaurant was because it offered a discount on the expensive center city parking. Never once did anyone ask us “where did we park,” or “are you seeing a show” – anytime we are in NYC to see a show, they always ask us this – usually the server does it. Well I guess our server was too busy being his own show to ask about us and we forgot to mention it. We called the next day and brought this to the attention of the person on the phone – not sure they got that either.

Reviewed 28 November 2015

It is hard to give a restaurant a serious review for lunch the day after a thanksgiving dinner. All five of us ordered a cob salad. It was well prepared and satisfying but "not to die for". As far as the other things on the menu, I cannot comment on. Suffice it to say that the room was small but with a large ceiling and a small bar (We did not drink). The owner seated us, and the service was prompt and helpful. Since I am reviewing this concerning a lunch meeting, I would recommend it for its small size, its lack of noise,and its prompt service