“Excellent stop for lunch”
Review of El Vez

El Vez
Reserve with OpenTable
El Vez is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 5,113 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: Sansom
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station.
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Went to El Vez for a quick lunch before hopping around the city. Walked in and with our reservation, we were seated right away. Our server was promptly at our table and made some recommendations on things that she liked. We decided on both of us having the chicken soft tacos ( cheese, avocado, tomatillo & tomato salsa, crema) and one had the tortilla soup, all which were excellent. They have a great tequila selection, although I decided on a Dos Equis Amber on tap. Lunch was served promptly ans it was a great value for $42.00 Would definitely recommend this to others, but beware, I would make reservations for lunch as well as dinner

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Great Mexican style food. Good flavors and quality food. Very trendy in a hopping area of the city. Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice Mexican Restaurant in the city.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

Took my colleagues to El Vez who were visiting from other states. Everyone left happy and even talk the day after how much they have loved food. Definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 22 October 2018

Just a short walk from the Lowes where we were staying for a conference. The restaurant itself is bigger than it appears with whimsical decorations on the walls and in the bar area. We pulled up a table next to the window. It was a shift change and the transition of waiters went well. We ordered up a couple of Herradura Silver El Vez margarita's and some Guacamole. Always interesting to see how Mexican restaurants fair outside of Texas. Margarita's arrived along with the Guacamole and everything was as expected. I ordered up the Taco's Al Carbon Adobe Chicken and instead of ordering another Margarita, we choose a pitcher as suggested by our waiter Marc. My taco's arrived shortly and were de-constructed which was a tad different, but actually perfect for me. This way I could munch the chicken, while taking bites of the fresh tortilla and salsa's which accompanied the plate. Bright, fresh flavors from the salsa's and almost spongy texture of the tortilla made this a great lunch pick. I liked the chips and salsa that were served, not so hip on being charged $7.50 for them. But, I am spoiled in Austin, where chips/salsa almost always are complimentary with the meal. I was also a little open-eyed with a pitcher of our Herradura margaritas coming in at around $52 if I recall correctly. Enjoying a late lunch and dropping $190 before tip for three of us, is a little over the top, not enough to ding the establishment, it was on us to ask the prices for the drinks and reading the menu where the charge for the chips is listed.

Overall, the flavor's are all there, so more than likely I would imagine for Philly, this is a great choice for Mexican, but for an out of place Texan, I think you might feel a little lite in your wallet for the experience.

1  Thank Jensoid
Reviewed 10 October 2018

A fun and funky atmosphere. The hostess let us charge our phones up front while we were dining, which was super nice. The guacamole was fresh and good. The shrimp tacos came out and really didn't look like much but they were excellent. Another dining companion had the mahi tacos and said they were excellent too.