“Beautiful restaurant, wonderful food”
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 4,693 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th on Chestnut
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I visited this restaurant with a friend in mid-March on a Monday evening. The hostess was very pleasant and accommodating, seating us after a short wait. Our waitress, Joanna (sp?) answered our questions about the menu and made some great suggestions. We ordered the sea bass and the shrimp, along with a bottle of Prosecco. Joanna checked on us often. The restaurant wasn't real crowded and my friend and I were able to converse easily. I will definitely return on my next visit to Philadelphia!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This place was recommended to me...and so high were the expectations. It is a fancy location with a big golden Buddha in the middle and extremely loud (music AND people)...and rather "dark" - so basically all the elements you need for some hype.

The food was not extraordinary tho. Yes, the chicken and the lobster dumplings were pretty good but nothing out of this world. The bao buns, unfortunately, were not even hot when served and were not served as buns but rather as pancakes - flat. At least dessert - ginger pear with chocolate curd and cardamon ice-cream - saved the evening.

Prices are ok-ish...but rather on the high end. Don't plan to come back.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My husband and I experienced Buddakan for the first time and wondered why we didn’t go sooner. As we walked in, we immediately knew this was the place for us. The aroma’s of the variety of food choices were absolutely mouth-watering. We started off with the crispy calamari salad. It was large enough for two, but I think I could have ate the entire bowl myself! I had the pan seared sea bass and my husband had the wok cashew chicken. We shared our meals and we both enjoyed our meals. If you are thinking about it, we recommend that you make reservations and get ready to enjoy yourself!

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Our first meal of our Philadelphia visit was arguably the best. The four of us loved each of the dishes we ordered and shared. Over the top friendly service too!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

My last visit to Buddakan was about 6 years ago and the meal was so lackluster, I didn't return until last night and I'm happy we gave it another try.

On this visit we decided to try all our old favorites and purposefully avoided any of the dumplings. For two people we ordered the small Asian Caesar Salad, the fire roasted Edamame, the chicken cashew stir fry, an order of wasabi mashed potatoes and the black pepper beef entree. Everything was tasty, though the edamame was a little too vinegary for my taste. Portions are large - dinosaur large, especially the salad. Their small caesar could easily satisfy a party of four. My advice is to be very careful about over-ordering. A lot of people were leaving with to-go bags & thats great if you live here. Guests from out of town just may want to scale down their selections.

A party of 2 could easily get by with one salad, one side dish and one entree. Plus it will save you money, while the food is good, the prices are not cheap. Our dinner for two as described above plus 2 cocktails and one glass of wine, tax + tip came to $170. And thats with no dessert or coffee.

The ambiance is convivial and depending upon other guest's behavior, sometimes raucous. Its a large impressive room with lots of tables including the center communal table so expect noise.