“Upscale asian restaurant”
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th on Chestnut
Reviewed 23 September 2017

The restaurant is located on the historical old town section of Philadelphia. I like the asian decor...beautiful and classy. Ambiance was great.
The service at the bar was friendly and very profedsional. They did not have happy hour though.
Dinner was very good.
The edmame appetizer was delicious. So was the Kobe beef satay - the beef was very tender. The calamari salad was tasty too. Service was great.
My overall experience was positive.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had the great pleasure of dining at Buddakan today and wow!, what a delicious meal. We both started off with Sashimi to die for then my wife moved on to grilled lamb chops, shrimp dumpling and tuna tatake while I devoured my grilled sea bass. It was all amazing. If you are in Philly, check this place out.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

What a place ! Huge, beautifully decorated and so very busy. The dim lighting lends it a romantic ambiance and the decor is exquisite and funky too .... take a look at the chairs. There is a big Buddha statue blessing you in the background.
The cuisine is Asian fusion. Though the options for vegetarians like us are limited, the staff was very accommodating and wherever possible, they converted the non veg dishes into vegetarian ones.
The dish I would recommend the most is Edamame Dumplings. They literally melt in the mouth. Very, very delicious.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

The atmosphere is lovely. Very dark. Beautiful Buddha statue watches over everyone while they eat, the first thing you hear when you walk in is running water from a fountain that runs from ceiling to floor, Wooden floors, low lighting and lovely dark wood. Lots of different seating arrangements. They had a huge table--it looked liked seating for 12, they had a pit that a family bopped into Mom, Dad and three kids and everyone looked comfy. Just the way everything is set up we never heard other noise or too much from other tables. There were also rounded "booths" that accommodated five or six. Excellent service, excellent food, great drinks. We took the opportunity to go during restaurant week so they had a three course meal for a fixed price but there were choices. Very happy to find out the whole menu was available but they truly had something for everyone on the restaurant week menu. Our table was made up of me, my sister and my brother in law and we have all been around each other for a long time so we automatically share including sips of drinks. There was a lot of "OOOh taste this, OMG wait till you TRY this..."going on at our table!:
Drinks:
I had a mescal and thai chili pepper drink ok, I had two. It was perfect. Smokey and spicey.
Bro in law had a bourbon and thai basil mixture called Geau east. Then he switched to a different straight bourbon.
Sister had cold saki (I prefer it heated and they do not have that) but it was refreshing and tasty.
Appetizers:
Chicken Dumplings with ginger soy sauce
BBQ Duck Wing
Crispy Calamari Salad
These were all generous servings--enough to share. The server explained that they encourage sharing and they bring each dish out as it is hot and ready. This worked out perfect for us. They gave us each a small plate and as each item came out, we took portions. I do not care for calamari but the salad and the dressing was awesome. Every single thing was delicious. Well prepared and cooked and presented just right.
The salad was chilled. The hot food was hot. I love that in a restaurant!

Ok, I passed on the duck wings but my sister and her hubby liked the BBQ sauce there was just enough on it.
The main courses:
Chilean Sea Bass (WOW was this awesome and a very generous portion)
Ginger Wok Chicken in plum sauce (we shared and I still took some home)
Shrimp that my sister indicated was perfectly seasoned and cooked.
We added curried cauliflower to the choices and wow are we glad we did. Again, even with everyone eating a generous amount we had left overs.
We each ordered a dessert and shared -- and were glad we did. They had Dip SUM (ha ha ) donut holes perfect texture, not too heavy, not too flakey...honestly just right. a little dish of half chocolate half raspberry to dip and some sweet cream cheese in the middle...there was NONE of that left.
There was a lovely sorbet that was refreshing and tart and of course a
chocolate and white chocolate ice cream dish...that was the one we left a little of. trust me not much but we all agreed it was tasty but paled next to the amazing donuts and the flavorful sorbet.
We realized that each of us have eaten in and enjoyed different Stephen Starr restaurants. We look forward to working our way through the list. He delivers consistent service, lovely atmosphere and excellent food. We never felt rushed and we went very early and watched as the place just got packed. Very popular, definitely worth it for a visit or special celebration. Our server was Anne and she did a terrific job, from explaining everything to us to making sure she checked on us without rushing us. Include this place in your plans. We got 'dressed up' (for us) and were surprised to see quite a few folks in shorts, tees and sneaks. So I guess I would say go as you are or dress it up a little for that special occasion, you are going to enjoy it no matter what.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Not your run of the mill asian restaurant....beautiful to start with, nice atmosphere, very busy, bustling and full of life.
Service was great, there were a LOT of people making sure everyone is well taken care of.
Menu was very unique some very different and amazing dishes to choose from , even though the menu is not very expansive. definitely worth a visit!!