“Flavorful seafood and tasty sushi in a New Age environment”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 41 - USD 80
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Reviewed 6 May 2016

The last time my daughter and I spent time together in Philadelphia, she had noticed Morimoto's when we walked to the historic district from our hotel at 12th and Spruce. So, this time she asked if we could try Morimoto's for dinner. I enjoy Japanese cuisine so immediately agreed and we made a reservation. We arrived at our appointed time and my daughter commented that the decor that included frosted glass enclosures illuminated by soft lights was very similar to restaurants she had seen in her recent trip to Japan. We decided to share several dishes so we could sample more items and began with a platter of tempura shrimp sushi and California rolls. We followed this with Seafood Toban Yaki which included sweet prawns, scallops, king crab, and manila clams, simmered with bok choy and oyster mushrooms. This was a perfect dish for us to share because I like prawns and scallops and my daughter likes king crab and clams. We both enjoyed the oyster mushrooms and the broth was quite flavorful too. We finished the meal by sharing a generous scoop of chocolate chip mint ice cream.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

We went to Morimoto on a whim after visiting VisitPhilly.com. The place looked nice on the website and was even more impressive in person.

We arrived a little early and went upstairs to their lounge to have a drink and wait for out reservation time. The place was cozy with comfortable couches and ottomans to have a drink or even eat. There was a full bar here to attend to your needs.

Our time arrived and we were escorted to our seats, along the walls are seating for 2 (across from each other) and in the middle are the larger tables for larger parties that are separated by cubicles. The cubicles are translucent with changing colors and give a warmth to the atmosphere.

We ordered cocktails and they were fine. As appetizers we ordered the Toro Tartare (it was just OK) and the Salmon Carpaccio which was spectacular. It had a great flavor and I just wanted to eat more of it (probably could have ordered 3).

As a main course we had a $65 assortment of sushi and sashimi. It was OK, the pieces seemed small and the roll that they had was ok. A little too ricey for me.
There was a baby squid that my wife had a HARD time getting down (I was smart enough not to try it) and a Boston Macrel sashimi piece that she said was very fishy (I didn't eat that either).

In the end, it was a nice experience, the place was a little pricey but I'd take my Kotobuki Sushi experience on Long Island any day over Morimoto.

Reviewed 24 April 2016

Kind of weird to go in the daytime--brilliant yellow translucent front door. If I was the hostess I would go insane. The rest of the restaurant has a clean, modern, Japanese feel. I had a sashimi sampler plate and it was great. Japanese traditional tea. Great service. A little hard to find because the name isn't on the front. Taxi driver drove past it, we walked past it coming back.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

Morimoto's has a great style and a friendly staff. We had a great birthday dinner for my daughter.

The service all around was good but not great, at times it was a little slow and unattentive but at other times it was very good.

The appetizers were very good, rock shrimp, wagyu dumpling (quickly devoured by my son a huge dumpling fan), eel foie gras, and Tuna Pizza. The only just okay item was the Morimoto Ramen Soup.

All the entrees were very good, I had the duck which may have the best duck I've ever had very moist, ishi yaki bop with wagyu beef which was prepared at the table was very good, other items were the sea bass and the filet.

The ice cream (blueberry was excellent) but the chocolate Yuzu pie was just ok.

Well worth the visit, reservations are highly recommended as the place was packed when we were there.

Reviewed 15 April 2016

Award winning innovative and sometimes incredible food. Been there 3 times. Service is below average for the times I visited which is unfortunate as the average invoice for 2 with 2 drinks pp runs apprx. $200 with a dessert & tip - I would expect at least a little more interest. Limited seating so reservations are highly recommended.