“Excellent Restaurant”
Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 21 - USD 100
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
Reviewed 31 August 2017

If you love good food, and ambiance, then you'll love Alma de Cuba. The food is excellent and so is the service.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Well, it was our last night in Philly and my dining companion and I wanted to find something really special. Of course, after combing the selection on TripAdvisor, we decided on Alma de Cuba. We thought it would be fun because we were just in Cuba! Ha!

Service was beyond perfect. With an extensive menu knowledge and a friendly demeanor we felt right at home and that we couldn't go wrong. We made our menu selections fully informed thanks to the sagacious guidance of our server.

The result: I (an adventurous omnivore) ordered a 3-ceviche sampler appetizer (it comes with a side of kettle corn-esque popcorn and corn nuts-YUM!) and the pork entree set over rice and pinto beans. The pork was slow cooked and succulent and delicious with crispy fat that melted in your mouth.

My dining companion (a vegetarian) ordered the Verde empanadas as an appetizer, which were delightful little pastries with manchego and spinach. Delish! For her main course, she ordered the manchego gnudi, which were wonderful cheese dumplings served with garbanzo beans, green beans, and corn!

We also got two sides, one was fresh baby spinach, cooked just right with garlic and oil. The other one was rice and beans, which it turned out I already had on my pork entree, but it was great to have a nice big bowl served family style for my dining companion to enjoy!

For dessert, we settled on the chocolate cigar, which actually look like a cigar! Complete with a crazy marshmallow matchbook which the runner set on fire for us! We were a little bit confused about whether or not we should let it burn or put it out and try to eat it, so we just let it burn, and then eventually we put it out. It made a little bit of smoke. (My dining companion was concerned that it would set off the fire alarm, but no such trouble occurred.)

This was an altogether great dining experience. My dining partner and I both would return anytime. A definite recommend to anybody interested in Cuban cuisine with a hip, modern Philly twist!

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Looking through a long list of fine restaurants in the Rittenhouse Square area, I chose Alma for a special dinner with my other half. Balky came though on all his recommendations.

Our server, Thomas, had plenty to say about all of the options, which were his favorites and why – and came through on every one of them.

W3 started off with the El Jefe Mohito ($14 each), the Yellowtail Ceviche ($14), and the Oxtail Croquettes ($14). If I did it again, I might go for a second ceviche, although the Oxtail was good. They also give you little cornmeal biscuits that are great on their own, but also perfect for soaking up the marrow.

The entrees we choase were the Sear Sea Scallops ($29) and the Sugarcane Tuna ($29). Both were so tender as to be cut with our forks. We chose the two rosadsos (rosés) a vinho verde rosé (Escudo Real, Portugal) and a rioja rosé (Marques de Caceres, Spain). We chose one side, the succotash ($7).

By no means an inexpensive meal ($195 pre-tip), food and service as should be expected for the price.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Took my family to visit Philly, having been there a few times myself, decided to come to Alma. And it was an amazing choice. Amazing flavors on all dishes.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The ceviche is really excellent...would recommend getting an assortment. Service was excellent and friendly.

I had the pork as a main. It was very tasty, but also was very fatty...which is the reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars.

Overall a good choice.