“Great Cheesesteak in the Market”

Carmen's Famous Italian Hoagies & Cheesesteaks
Ranked #73 of 4,652 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 December 2017

I was craving a Philly cheesesteak so we popped into the Reading Terminal Market and hit up Carmen's. The line was about 5 deep which didn't take long at all. Ordered the Philly cheesesteak with provolone, sauce, fried onions, mushrooms, hots and pepperoni. Let me just say one of the best cheesesteaks I've had in Philly and I've been all over. They cook to order so everything is fresh and the meat is tender and juicy. Michelle who takes your order is the best!!! Get here -

1  Thank ocloanshark

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Carmen has compassion for people, That's what makes him a star in this business. He's a good hearted down to earth businessman and likes people. He always makes you feel welcomed when you step up to the window and place your order. He might not always remember your name, but he never forgets a face. Hands down that's a Win Win !

1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 6 December 2017

It was suggested by our tour guide to check it out. Carmen served us, was helpful in choosing what to have. We had The Franklin. It was to die for. We tried a couple of other places and hands down Carmen's is the best!!!!!! You get what you pay for.

2  Thank Luc F
Reviewed 6 December 2017

A great place to get a classic Philly cheesesteak, one of the best. Fun too, as the guys behind the counters are characters, and they chatter all the time. If there's room, sit at the counter and let these guys entertain you. There was a somewhat short line when I arrived, but a rather long line when I left. So get there a little before noon, or try your luck. For what it's worth, the line moves pretty fast. And these cheesesteaks are worth waiting for. From what I saw, the Italian hoagies might be pretty awesome also.

1  Thank morl8tr
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

My friend and I went to RTM specifically to go to Carmen's. We adore Cheesesteaks and this spot is the bomb.

It's on the end of an aisle next to a Greek spot, near the doors to the street. There's a large popular bakery a few stalls over so that's how you know you've found it. Not to mention the inevitable long line.

THE WAIT IS WORTH IT!! The counter is small, but it's poppin and the guys have a great banter / attitude. They're friendly, quick, and make a delicious sandwich every time.

The Classic cheesesteak with beef, onions, and american was perfect. The bread had the right ratio of crunch to chewy consistency, the onions were fresh, the steak & cheese perfectly blended and full of flavor.

You can pay cash or there is a $10 card minimum. Very minimal counter seating on each side. Definitely a regular stop of mine whenever I'm in Philly!

1  Thank lenanash31